1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

First Ride

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by nightster09, Sep 14, 2008.

1. nightster09

nightster09 New Member

Last month my wife and I really started talking about getting a bike - we had talked about it before, but then just forgot about it and moved on with our lives. Anyways, a few weeks ago we ended up bringing home 2 new Nightsters. We took them out today and WOW! What a blast, these bikes are wonderful - very quick and take corners like a champ. I was a bit nervous being that this is my first motorcycle, but no worries now.
    We take the Riders Edge class this Thurs, Fri, Sat, & Sun, hopefully everything will go smoothly so we can throw on the miles before the snow hits here.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

congrats on the new bikes!!!! soak up all the info you can at the classes.....make like a sponge!!!!! stay safe and post up some pics if ya can!!
  3. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

You'll have a good time I guarantee it....I had to wear out a Honda & a Suzuki before I discovered how much better a Harley feels....
  4. Panthera

Panthera New Member

Those Sportsters handle corners very well, they dig in an go! A few hints:

Ride like you are invisible, to many drivers, you are.
    Be ready for anything, complacency hurts on a cycle,
    Never expect drivers to do the normal, expect them to do their worst.
    It may be fun, but keep the smiles down, a Junebug in the teeth hurts, and does not taste too good either!

Enjoy the ride!
  5. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

From one Sporty rider to another Welcome aboard. Those Nightsters are some serious nice machines. Like you my Sporty was my first bike. Chuck and Panthera has some really good advice. Learn all you can in that class, but whatever you learn don't fool yourself into thinking you learned it all. EVERY ride is a learning experience and adds to our arsenal.

Panthera's Never expect drivers to do the normal, expect them to do their worst. is something I wish I would have had in my head on the 14th Aug. Silly woman stopped for a yellow light, causing the van behind her to stop short, and me to try like crazy to stop. I stopped, real quick like on the back of the van. We aren't trying to scare ya at all, don't fear. Just don't get cocky or stupid and enjoy the daylights out of those bikes.

Congrats on the new rides, enjoy, post, and welcome to the family.
  6. nightster09

nightster09 New Member

thanks for the advice, there is never too much of that to go around. I have mulled around many forums, and without a doubt the members here care about each other and care about the sport of riding. Thanks for making me feel welcome here.
  7. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Enjoy the riding.

Be ready for anything is really good advice. Riders Edge is a fun way to pick up stuff.

Some bits on trucks (and truckers)
    If you cannot see their mirrors they cannot see you
    If you can see their mirrors... does not mean they have seen you.
    If a trucker wants to have right of way it is best not to argue

In general
    Assume every other user of the road is a jackass who has one prime objective, to kill you. Oh, and, if in doubt don't do it.

Have fun
  8. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Most folks on two wheels are nice to others on two wheels. Kinda a respect for birds of a feather I guess. Like you I have been on many boards and this one seems to be the most easy going laid back family I have ever had the pleasure of being part of. As far as advice and knowledge some of the members here are priceless, others are like me and still new enough to remember those early oops moments clearly LOL. Get some pics of that Nightster up man (both of them) my Sporty is hmmmm.... disabled at the moment LOL. I need to see some healthy Sportys.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Congrats,
    Ride safe
    Have fun!
  10. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Great to hear the joy of new bike riders. Almost makes me want to buy a new one - almost! Have fun out there and:

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face,
    and rains fall soft upon your fields.
    And until we meet again, (or in actual person),
    May God hold you (and your lady) in the palm of His hand.

Had to throw in that old Irish blessing, its in me blood! And, soon, will be some more whiskey (see, I really am part Irish).....
    :cheers:
  11. nightster09

nightster09 New Member

Here is the photo the dealership took for us - I will upload more photos in a few days. Thanks for the comments!

Attached Files:

12. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Both very nice looking rides. Easy to see the first is silver/black, is the wife's OD/black or black/black?

Thanks for sharing and stay safe. Class starts soon, have a great time and learn all you can.
  13. nightster09

nightster09 New Member

she went with the black/black look - wanted the true nightster look.

Were looking forward to the class - from what I have heard from others that have taken it, its a great time with a ton of excellent information and experience.
  14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Yes do as said above soak it all up & enjoy the many years of riding together , The wife & I have for many years now & one of my son's still rides , one of my daughters rides a sporty & now A couple of my grand kids want there own ( they have a couple more years to go , both under 16 but have mini bikes) & please watch for the cages as they don't see you
  15. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

They don't see you and hardly EVER do what you think they will. Turnsignals MEAN NOTHING, but ALWAYS be leery of the left turn signal or people in suicide lanes (turn lanes) folks in them can't drive.

I don't know about in other states but around here if you see any of the following: JESUS, God is my Pilot, Jesus Fish, God is my Co-Pilot or any other such Christian symbols on a car expect them to do the dumbest of things. Most seem to try to drive by Divine Right and want to arrange your meeting with God.

Also country radio station bumper stickers are NEVER a good sign around here. Guess those songs gets them thinkin' about Sis' leavin 'em, their favorITE dog that died way too earlier, or something but they sure don't seem to be thinking about driving.

Their kid/grandchild may be an honor student, but I can just about guarantee they are an idiot when behind the wheel of a cage.

The driver looks you square in the eyes at an intersection. This basically seems to be some kind of telepathic message saying, "I am going to run your biker trash a$$ over". That or maybe, "Yes I see you but I don't care. You are in my way and smaller than me". No matter what they are trying to say just know they have a very good chance of hitting you and will 99.9% of the time say, "I didn't see him/her" :gah:

The top two ways to become invisible are 7-10 shots of tequila, or STRATTLE THE SADDLE. The first you think you are the second EVERYONE else does.

Ride Blessed
  16. Panthera

Panthera New Member

wvak, I see your still posting, so I assume you were not terribly damaged, and hope my assumption is correct. How are you? How is the bike?
  17. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

I am fine panthera, thanks for asking. I didn't suffer the first mark on me, but the Sporty was a different story. She is pictured in my project thread. It is all back on track to getting fixed finally. Changing colors again this time.

I had taken on a new passenger earlier than morning and He saved me more than once that day. I held on and God took care of the big stuff ;) .
  18. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

I've always liked the phrase:

Keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down.
  19. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Hey Dutch what about those of us that don't have a shiny side :roflmao: ? Although I have to agree with you that is among my favorite phrases :D . Dang fine advice too, just hard to do sometimes LOL.
  20. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Hey Nightster09 Where For Did You Go? How was the class? I know you're licensed now and spending all your time and money on the road with those Nightsters aren't ya? Stay safe and drop us a line when you have some time.