1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Flat Tire

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by HAMSHOG, Feb 11, 2008.

1. HAMSHOG

HAMSHOG New Member

Ok Guys & Gals,
    Got a flat :banghead: Saturday coming back from a great ride over the mountain here in So. Cal. It's a new EIII, (300 miles) on a wire spoke rim. ('05 RKC) I ran about 1/2 mile with little air. Took the tire off today and there is no sign of puncture. :confused: I think the tube got pinched or something. Taking it to Indy tomorrow to check it out. Do I have the tire remounted w/ new tube, if it's only the tube? Or would there be damage to the side wall that should cause replacement? Also what should I put on the axle when I reinstall? Manual talks about anti-seize. Would lube grease be sufficient? This is my first rear tire maintenance..

Howard
  2. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

had the same exact problem, with the same type of wheel:gah: . i'm thinking the tube got pinced, but of course a "puncture" was found. talked to another guy who had the same problem who suspected the same. thing is your'll never prove it:banghead: . doubt this will involve anything but another tube and labor:D , good luck. least you didn't need towed:devil:
  3. HAMSHOG

HAMSHOG New Member

Well actually, I did have it towed. Was on our way to our monthly club meeting at the VFW after we'd passed the house. :gah: Called HOG and they got me ride. Luckily only 4 miles back to the house. I am going to put the bike on AAA real soon though!!

What do you use on the axle when you put it back together?
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the price of a tube is not all that expensive....i would replace it after a thourough inspection of the inside of the tire.....also check the liner...that goes around the rim covering the inside of the spokes....use anti size on the axle....it will make removal next time much easier. using grease or oil doesnt work so well as it washes away and lets the mating surfaces sieze together...it can be found at most auto parts stores, and not very expensive.....a word of caution....a little of that stuff goes a llooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way!!!!:)
  5. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

and he means a long looong looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooog way you get little on you and you will find every place you didn't know you scratched:roflmao: :roflmao:
  6. HAMSHOG

HAMSHOG New Member

Thanks Chuck. I will get some anti-seize for the axle. Don't want any problems...:eek:
  7. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Would That Go For The Back Also? I Noticed That I Need Some Lube On Mine, Just Haven't Got To It Because I Keep Pulling It On And Off. I Can See That The Stuff They Used On It Was A Milky White Stuff That Got Alittle Dried Out.
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i use it on the front and rear, and anyplace i dont want stuff to sieze....sparkplugs,ect...... you will also find every place you touch in the house, car, the o'ladys butt.........that stuff will darn near beat you into the house!!!!!!!:)