1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Flat Tire

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 08XModel, Mar 24, 2009.

1. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

Since the weather is getting better I will be doing more riding. I need to invest in kit or parts to repair a flat tire on the road. What works the best to air a tire up if still on the bead. I do have a 12volt pump that goes into the cig lighter but I know that wouldn't seat a bead. What about a tire plug kit. I never have had to fix a bike tire before. Any info would be appreciated.

Ride On
    Kevin
  2. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

if its a simple puncture a plug and a co2 charge, to get it to town, other than that get a tow and play it safe
  3. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Tubeless tire - use a plug with a co2 cart and get it to a shop as soon as you can.

Tube tire will require a tow - unless you carry a load of tools to take the tire off the rim.

Lessin the chances of having a flat by checking tire pressure before each ride and check check thread depth every month or more if you put high miles on the bike. Don't wait until you see the chord showin thru; by then your runnin on borrowed time.
  4. fujimo

fujimo New Member

tubless

i had a tire get sabotaged last year,,,plugged it and ran it for another 4000 miles,,,three plugs on the rear,,,i carry a air pump,,,probably similer to yours,,, you can get them back on bead on the road,,, i have had a rear tire blow out in rapid city at about 70 mph,,,,not that hoorrrible a deal,,,, just dont panic,,,pops
  5. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

If you are a HOG Member, they offer Tow Insurance for $19.95. Been the best investment I ever spent. My wife had a flat many miles from nowhere and got picked up in less than an hour and the tire was replaced under the extended service contract with no money out of pocket.
  6. fujimo

fujimo New Member

tow service

ran into a crappy deal,,,never did get money back,,,i am a hag member,,,and have been towed twice,,,last time for a oil line,,,BUT the dealer would only take cash for tow,,,and he DID fill out my tow service thru hog,,,had the best one,,,said hog would have to reimberse me ,,, i called hog from dealers BEFORE,, i paid,,,,two years latter still waiting for check,,,170.00,,, besides,, who wants to sit for hour ,,when can plug and be off in ten minutes,,,pops
  7. DaveFxst

DaveFxst New Member

Flat tire - tube type

I have seen ads for pressurized bottles designed to reinflate a tubed tire and inject a sealant for a temporary fix. Has anyone had any experience with these? I assume it works on the same principal as the tubeless variety.
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I care a kit made for cars tires & small air com plugs into lighter pick it up at any auto parts store & uses very little space in saddle bags
  9. TERRY50

TERRY50 New Member

Just Asking; Has Anyone Had Problems With The Rims On The Bike Pitting. The Last Two Bikes (07 And 08 Ultras) Had The Same Problem. The 08 Was 7 Months Old, And Started To Pit The Back Rim. The Bike Is Washed Every Other Day, And Waxed Every Week. Dealer Said The Reason For The Pitting Is Moisture, Imagine That. Another Step In The Right Direction For H.d.
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Terry , My 03 E glide gets wash & riden in the rain A decent bit of the time ( 57K miles) & not one pit in the wheels (factory mags) it just might be the newer cheeper metel
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I have only heard of that happening to one other rider that I know and the dealer warrantied the rim.
  12. 1988flhtc in nfld

1988flhtc in nfld New Member

before i made my trip across canada last season, i bought a inflate and seal can , two beer cans high, never needed it, but used it in the past ,it will get u out of a pinch.i still carry it with me.
  13. wblanton

wblanton New Member

I carry a plug and patch kit. Bought at harbor freight for just a couple of bucks. Plugged my tire last year and still riding on it. Has a VERY slow leak. It sat for two months while doing other work and leaked down to about half pressure. Plugs work good for just the usual nail or screw.
  14. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I use the mushroom plugs and they work excellent on car, pickup or bike. Had to put two in one year side by side after cutting an Avon tire on my Ultra when I crossed over a cattle guard. It with a can of slim worked for 600 miles till I got it home and was still holding air when I had the tire changed.