1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Flattrack last night

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Goose, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Goose

Goose New Member

Christ, I survived! I've not seen that many fast riders and bikes at the local flattracks. I managed a fifth in Mad Dawg and that was fighting tooth and nail until the guy chasing me crashed out trying to match my corner entry speed. He had motor on me. I bought this bike out of California already built with a Frank Nye stroker motor, but I don't think the head flows all that well. I'm wanting a takegawa head or maybe get my Jay Wright motor stroked, but really, I think I have enough. Same guys that usually rule the class were back with me except for one who crashed out in the qualifier and got a severe concussion. We were in a lead pack nose to tail and he fell right in front of the second bike who hit him. I found a gap between bike and rider, was two wide going in and had few escape options as I was on the inside. WHEW! Lots of bad crashes last night. I got out of there with only a mildly tweaked ankle. They paid to fifth, but it wasn't much. :rolleyes:

The three fast bikes had motor on the rest of us. They were TTR125s and I know they can be taken to 170 and maybe a little more ccs. The XR100s can only go to the class limit 150cc, which is what my stroker is. I'm thinking cheater bike here, but the riders were fast, too.

There were several ambulance calls last night, one guy in open pro severely dislocated or broke his hip. That one was nasty. Flattrack is a tough sport. I need to grow some more cojones. ROFL Or maybe I'll go back to what i know best, asphalt, but flattrack is just too much fun to give up and it's really getting popular down here again. I guess it'll never have the popularity of motocross, but I'd hate to see it die for lack of interest.

I've heard rumors that a MX park south of San Antonio is building a supermoto track. Now that's something I've wanted to try before I get too danged old and beat up like CD. :p I'm not counting on it until it happens, though. Hell, I need to master this flattrack thing before biting off another discipline, I guess. :rolleyes:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

glad your having fun!!!! where did you race??
    chuck
  3. SK

SK New Member

Be careful out there Goose. Those flat-trackers seem to go down a lot. Sounds like fun and I've always loved flat-trackin..left foot to the ground and wingin it!
  4. Goose

Goose New Member

Huffman Motorsports Park just east of Houston up near Lake Houston. The series promotor's link is http://www.jarrellracing.com and there's a link to the Huffman track on that site. It's nice, racing under the lights. They have an MX park behind the little 1/5 mile dirt track. They have the typical oil burning, smokey water truck that barely runs, but they manage to prep a pretty nice surface there. It grooves up really nice, I just need to get a rear tire to take advantage of it, LOL.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

thats not a far trip for me.......gonna see if i can schedule a run over there....thanks for the link
    chuck
  6. Goose

Goose New Member

Last race this season is the end of this month. If you come, I'll probably be in my blue Mark III Chevy conversion van with a Mototote on the back of it and running a white XR100 with 16" wheels front and rear and a down pipe. Ran number 17 last time and will probably keep that. Easy to make with electrical tape. LOL!