1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Flexible tuning device?????

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by mtnrider, Dec 19, 2005.

1. mtnrider

mtnrider New Member

I have an FLSTC that is injected. I am looking to install the V&H pro pipe and an Arlen Ness intake. I know that I will need to get the chip burned so that it is set up with the correct timing. I have also read about the flexible tuning devices. If I were to use one of these, would I need to get the chip burned? Is there one device that is better than another? I have only read about the V&H Fuelpak but have been told that there are others.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i do know that there are a lot of others out there. i would do a google search and compare products to determine which would do the best job for my style of riding. sorry for being vague, but i am not up to speed on the injection models.
    chuck
  3. navyman

navyman New Member

I have a Power Commander on my Road King and have been very happy.
  4. mtnrider

mtnrider New Member

Did you have to have the chip burned in order to get the correct timing or has the Power Commander allowed you to go without burning the chip?
  5. CD

CD Guest

There is no need to have the ECU flashed. The PCIII USB allows for fuel and timing adjustments.
    Tuners:

Simplest are the devices like the V&H fuel pack, Revtec DFO etc. Fuel only and manually adjusted.

Digital devices like the Power Commander and SERT. Both either directly or indirectly alter timing and fuel curves as needed. The SERT writes to the ECU directly, is more flexible than the PCIII but can be intimidating to learn and the dealer will get $$$ to tweak plus new maps are $50.00 each. The PCIII USB alters the fuel and timing on the fly and has a ton of maps available.

Entire EFI systems like the VFI S&S.
  6. mtnrider

mtnrider New Member

I want to thank everyone for thier input. It has been very helpful.