1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

FLHX Oil Temp to warm

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 08XModel, Mar 16, 2009.

1. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

I just installed Pythons 3 1/2 inch slip-on mufflers today on the 08 SG. I noticed on start up that the idle was a little higher than usual. I took the bike for a run down the highway for 10 miles or so and checked the oil temp on the digital dip stick. The highest reading was 246 F. I'm running Amsoil 20/50 and don't know if I'm running to warm. The outside temp is a mild 75 deg. I also have engine guard chaps on and maybe need to remove them. Any info would be appreciated. I was told that I could install these mufflers and not have to mess with computer or intake. Does anyone have any info on nightrider.com? I hope to not have to install the orginal mufflers again. PS The Klock Werks flare windshield isn't worth the money.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Funny I've heard that about the KW flare windshield from a friend on his Ultra said it didn't do anything for him.

Remove the lowers to see if it cools things down.

Just installing pipes shouldn't hurt it but remember the bike is factory lean,
    so in the long run, with an air filter change you need to put on a powercommander 5, SERT or some tuning device to change the fuel curves.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yep like said remove the lowers. On my older Ultra I would remove the lowers when the temps got warmer and it always made a difference.

Changing just the mufflers should not make a huge difference but changing the mufflers and air filter will. I ran a Ultra for a long time with V&H Ovals without changing the air filter and it was fine.

One thing to remember is the HD motor is simple a big air pump. They come very choked down when stock for EPA reasons and they are dying to be opened up to breath better. Putting on a air cleaner that breaths better and a good fuel management system or even a stage one download for your system will make a big difference in how the bike runs and performs.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i dont run my chaps when the temp is higher than 60..........unless it is raining...
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I have the same 08 FLHX and it was hot from day one. I've tried the device from nightrider which only masks the actual reading from the O2 sensors. If the only thing you are going to change is the mufflers, take the bike to your dealer and ask for the Stage 1 flash. That should get you in the right range for now. If you upgrade the air cleaner then you'll need to move up to a Power Commander, SERT, or Thundermax. Currently I run the SERT with a custom map but only until the Thundermax comes out for TBW models.

Personally I think the mixture on these bikes is too lean to switch out the mufflers and still be ok, but you can squeak by until you get tuned.
  6. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

Kenfuzed:

I rode the bike yesterday and got it warmed up then went to my mechanic. He ran a temp reading to the rear cylinder with an IR temp gun. He said temp was ok and not to worry about the oil temp. So for now will ride it and keep a close eye on it. Has anyone used the digital HD dipstick with a stock 96 motor? I should have taken temp readings before changing the mufflers. Ride on.
  7. hotroadking

Don't get the temp stick

it's a pos

it comes apart

you can't press the button at speed anyway

All it will tell you is- it's hot

it's a worry button.

Don't worry run syn, pop on a cooler with a t-stat if you are concerned.
  8. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

I removed the engine guard chaps and been on several rides and the temp seems to be fine. The next problem is an exhaust leak at each muffler clamp. I've tightened them as tight as possible. Is there anything I'm missing? I notice the leaks almost go away when everything is warm. Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Did you put new exhaust clamps on when you replaced the mufflers?
  10. Mayor

Mayor New Member

A must DO!..never had any luck if I didn`t change clamps!!
  11. chucktx

if you use aftermarket clamps, they WILL leak. get hd clamps and torque to specs.
  12. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

I used the original HD clamps. I was told not to use the clamps that came with the Python mufflers. I may need to get new HD clamps. Any info would be appreciated.

Kevin
  13. hotroadking

they say to replace the clamps a one time use item

permatex makes a copper sealant for exhaust, it's wise to use it in addition

Simply coat the inside of the muffler opening with the copper and then install
    this helps seal and then install the clamp.

I've used muffler clamps more than once so you might try the copper permatex first...
  14. chucktx

i have also used the hd clamps more than once.....but they must be torqued....if not they will either be too loose, or snapped off..........