1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Florida being suied for issuing tickets on flashing lights

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Sep 1, 2011.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

3. cardboard

Few years back I was comin threw Splendora, Tx. A place known for speedtraps.
    I seen a motorcycle cop shootin radar on the other side of the road. I was flashin my lights on my 4wd ford. As I toped the hill there was a police car at the bottom. I got pulled over and was told he was writting me a ticket for faulty equiptment. I said, cool, i will leave here, take my truck to a buddy who is a mechanic and have him inspect it.
    He said , i seen you flashin yer lights at the cars coming warnin them of the speedtrap. I can write you a ticket for that. I said Double cool.
    He said you didn't have yer seat belt on. I said you seen me try to git out of the truck with it on.
    You got something else you need to add on the ticket
    When I leave my mechanics shop, I'm headed to a attorneys office, give him the ticket and tell him what you tole me. I will see you in court.
    He said what. I said I don't have any piece of equiptment on my truck that is faulty. I just had a state inspection done on it.
    And if yer going to set speed traps I will flash my lights all day, and if if you give me a ticket I will see you in court with a attorney.
    Needless to say. I got a ticket for nothin.
    When I seen this I couldn't hold back.:gah:
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

So did you fight the ticket? win? loose?

I hate cops like that.

Got a ticket from a little short mouthy motorcycle (BMW) county cop for doing 5 over right at the end of the speed zone where it turned back into 55. I was doing 35 in a 30 he said. Judge went along with the cop of course and cost me 150.00 plus got put on my driving record. God I was pissed at him. If I saw that cop broke down I wouldn't even bother to help the sawed off little mister attitude runt. That was 5 years ago and I'll never forget his runt face. :cussing::angry::rant:
    Can you tell I'm still P-off at that dude
  5. cardboard

He didn't write it, he warned me verbably.
    I asked him to write the ticket.
    I said I will give a lawyer 5000 before I gave him 5.oo for a ticket like he was talkinabout

I wanted to see what the Judge was gonna say in court when my attorney walks in there and presents the case.
    Splendora was puton probation for several years for writtin to many speeding tickets and a rich person Sued them with a Big Time lawyer.
    They wasn't allowed to a tire a ticket for nothin then. It was even on TV
  6. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Well, I gots to tell ya, like most groups, they all ain't bad (cops). Around here the little smart ass runts become highway patrol. Unless they piss off the bosses, then they go a parking ticket duty. I had one Highway Patrol (NYC Cop) screaming at me 'cause he asked for my license (nothing else) and I handed him my license with my brothers PBA card and small replica badge. (also a NYC cop). He didn't write me but man the verbal abuse. A real dick. Two of my sons are cops in Az. Both like to ride. So one goes for and gets Moto duty. Figures he can ride and get paid for it. He lasted about 8 months. He couldn't be a traffic duty only cop. Too boring, too life changing dealing with the idiots driving cages and too much pressure to write ticket quotas. He went back to patrol. (By the wway, he was the cop who busted a famous basketball player two years back for DWI and admitted rushing to get a B-Job in Scotsdale! It was on the news around Christmas time and I forgot his name) He felt he was becoming a dick like the ones we are talking about.
  7. cardboard

The cities need to be sued for Quotas.
    That will make a policeman write a ticket for no reason.
    Cities need to live within their budget.
  8. Fatboy128

Well get this, the cops get de-merits for handing in partially filled out tickets at the end of a day. If they start to write one and for some reason decide not to issue it, they start to look for someone to give it to so they don't get in trouble. At least in NYC and here on the Island where we have two counties with their own police. So, my friends I grew up with who become county police stopped writing tickets except for mundane things like equipment stuff that you can get out of with a receipt for the lightbulb or tire etc. It's only the highway patrols and state troopers that get the quotas (around this state).
  9. cardboard

The city officials need you go git a ticket, so they can make money, Then yer insurance company gits in line wantin more money cause you got a ticket.
    Its a racket I tell you.....:rant:

What's bad is the new rookin cops , they really been brained washed and they think they are saving the world.
  10. Fatboy128

Yeah and around here they have to have college degrees! (Not NYC, they just have to be breathing and have a pulse). Our county cops after 3 years are making $103,000! that's without OT. To think my crew from the old neighborhood who all became county cops talked me out of it back in 1970 'cause I already had a good job and I had a real bad temper (back then, I've mellowed a little). They have all retired and are making $80,000 to $95,000 a year pensions! NO LIE! That isn't counting the check they got for unused sick and vacation time. Two guys I know walked away with their pensions and checks for more than $180,000!!!!! THAT IS WHY LONG ISLAND TAXES ARE SO HIGH! Going to bed now, I too am too old for late nights. Talk with ya soon.