1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Fluid Change

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Bagman, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Bagman

Bagman New Member

I changed the transmission fluid in my FXST for the first time today, (1st time for me, not the bike) and realized that it was pinkish in color and only about 10 oz drained from the pan. Is this normal and does anyone know what type of fluid would be this color?
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

your service manual will give you the amount of oil for the transmission, the pink color is from an aftermarket fluid.....someone will chime in with the maker......
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

The pink is probably the Redline Shockproof gear oil. If that's what it is, its good stuff and Chuck's right check your manual for the right amount.
  4. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

It's Redline and that stuff sticks to every part in the trans. I usually let a bike with redline drain overnite and still won't get it all out. The hotter the oil, the easier it is to drain. Hope you used the dipstick to tell when the tranny was full cuz ot seems you didn't get it all drained out.
  5. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

I always stand my bikes up straight to get more of the oil(s) out. That way I get as much of the old fluid as possible - a more complete change.
  6. Bagman

Bagman New Member

I let it drail while upright for about 2 hours and a little more drained out. The color threw me off track. I have experience inside car engines but this was my first time with a m/c. Thanks for the help.