1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

FNG needs some opinions on pipes

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by hookerwrench, Oct 20, 2007.

1. hookerwrench

hookerwrench New Member

I know there are no less than 10,000 post on here about pipes, but I still haven't seen what I was lookin for, so I might as well ask :D Has anyone heard/ran the V&H big radius pipes and/or shortshots. Also any thoughts on Ness's 90 degree Velocity stack w/ k&n filter? I am looking for a lil better performance and don't care about MPG (I still get better than most tuna can on wheels anyways). I think they just look sharp. Thanks for yer input.
  2. Hugo

Hugo New Member

Please what ever u do Don't buy the Vance+Hines short shots. They r really **** in the performance department.Sure they look great sound great but thats it, no performance at all. Ended up having to buy whole new exhaust to extract all my power . I went with the Vance+Hines Pro Pipe HS, this did the job on the dyno, great numbers:D Also check my article 04 Fatboy looks,sound or performance.good luck:cheers:
  3. hookerwrench

hookerwrench New Member

Hey thanks for the info. I was wondering though...how much better are 2-1's than true duals in the performance area. Are we talking 1 or 2 hp or 10?
  4. hdhelgy

hdhelgy New Member

2 into 1

2 into 1 pipes will gain you HP most definately, it will all depend on the motor set-up you have. The difference between true duals and a 2 into one pipe is that a 2 into 1 will help pull the air/ fuel mixture into the combustion chamber while a drue dual will not. I have seen up to a 12 HP difference, depending on the pipe of course.
  5. Hugo

Hugo New Member

Hello Hookerwrench. I can not really tell u the difference between the 2 pipes. What i do know is with my short shots, Woods bolt in cams and switching 2 gear drive on dyno i had 63 hp +79 torque. After tearing off short shots and installing Pro Pipe hp was 86 and torque was 93 . Keep in mind no head work ,springs or pistons. This bike is virtually stock.Good luck in your decision,sometimes its hard to now what to do. Just stay away from dealer ships. Finding a good quality harley mechanic is your first job!:cool:
  6. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

It ain't just V&H shorties that suck in performance - it is all of them. Not enough reversion. True Duals are not really ideal overall performance pipes, as they are best suited for an RPM range that most regular riders don't stay in and are a good bit shorter on low end torque than 2-1's. True Duals do have a definite "coolness" factor, and are fine in the higher RPMs.

The performance 2-1 pipes, such as V&H Pro Pipes, are ideal for the road riders that want a really optimal compromise of usable horsepower and torque.

Aside from all that, I've known a whole bunch of riders that have switched pipes over the years (self included) and I can honestly state that none has switched away from their AFTERMARKET 2-1's (Thunderheaders or V&Hs). One dumped his Bassani duals for V&H PPs, and a bunch (at least 3 I recall right away) made the change from shorties (SE, Ness, and one I don't remember). They remain happy.

Ness's 90 degree Velocity stack w/ K&N filter will give more air than stock and is stylish, but ya may want to guestimate your legroom vs. the installation. May fit fine, depending on your riding style, but then again - it may not. Better to figure that before shelling out the big $'s.

Just remember your bike has to be tuned for the new pipes & air cleaners, or you'll blue them new pipes (even many of the "blue-proof" can be blued with real bad tuning). A friend did that to his new "blue-proof" pipes 'cuz he didn't want to shell out the $ to remap his ride. :banghead:
  7. hookerwrench

hookerwrench New Member

Thanks for the info Red. You got me sold, I'm gonna go with the pro pipe. Not as bad a$$ lookin, but I don't see my pipes when I'm riding anyways :D As for the air cleaner, I dunno how they fit on the bike, I am about 5'8" with a 32" inseam...as it is the forward controls seem a lil close up for me. I was just wondering if anyone had one, and if it got in the way. I HATE whackin my knees on sh*t. I was also plannin the remap...PCIII all the way baby:cool:
  8. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

Hookerwrench, I Have The V&h Big Radius On My 04 Low Rider, They Really Helped The Looks Of The Bike, Also At Same Time Added The Arlen Ness Big Sucker, I Was Not Impressed With The Sound Until I Removed There Baffles And Installed Thunder Monster Baffle, By Big City Thunder, Good Deep Loud Sound And Also Helped On Hp And Torque, Two Of The Guys I Ride With Put Them On There Super Glide And Wide Glide As Well, Beleive Me People Look When We Are Riding Together. I Would Put Them On My 07 Road King If I Could.

Dkin

Live Easy, Ride Hard
  9. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

i run vh LS. love em, they sound great. but . . . do ever dog him down in the low end