1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Fork Oil leak

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Devolution, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Devolution

Devolution New Member

Hi All, I have a 95 Roadking with 32K on the clock. I bought the bike a few months ago and it seems that all the major services have been done. I bought the bike as a salvage with only minor cosmetic work needed. I have develope a small leak from the left fork leg, not at the slider seal but seems to be leaking at the drain screw. The screws look brand new with new washers and I thought that maybe the screw was loose and tried to tighted it but was torqed down nice and tight. As I ride a little oil will weep out and hit my brake rotor and spray oil all over my primary cover and front fender.
    Is it possible to remove and seal the screw with silicone and not drain the rest of the oil or do I have to take the front end apart and remove the top plug to refill after removing the drain plug? BTW: the fluid in the fork is clean and looks new.
    Thanks for the help.
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

There should be seals on each screw. Make sure they were not just replaced with regular washers. I don't recall the stock part number but a friend recently bought the chrome ones, p/n 45848-03 for his chrome sliders and cost under 5 bucks.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

kenfused is right on the money!!!!!!!!!:)
  4. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

You can pull the old screw, block the hole with your finger and then quickly reinsert the new screw with new washer. The fluid loss should be minimal and not make much difference.
  5. Devolution

Devolution New Member

Thanks all for the responses. I will replace the washers next weekend.
    -Devolution
  6. strickt9Rob

strickt9Rob Active Member

If you can get the front wheel off the ground so the lower legs are extended there will be no down pressure on the front end. The fluid won't be under pressure,and should only drip out slowley. this will assist in not lossing to much fluid and changing the washers. These washers are ussually made of soft metal such as brass or copper so it forms when tightend and seals might be chromed as well. Hope this helps.........ride safe.
  7. chucktx

check the manual, i believe there is a torque spec. you are fastening dissimilar metals and dont want to strip it!!..........:)
  8. strickt9Rob

strickt9Rob Active Member

chucktx is right check tourqe spec on it it's more than likely in, inch. lbs.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

been a while but is there a rubber washer that fits in there, for some reason I"m remembering one on my 97 but that's been a long time ago when I last had one apart.
  10. Devolution

Devolution New Member

Hi all, well, I change the drain plugs on my forks and was able to take a 60cc
    syringe that they use to feed people through a tube and measure out the proper amount of fork oil and refilled the forks. The problem is now the fork oil is taking the path of least resistence and blew out the fork seals. The fork seals were weeping a little but I thought I could rebuild them and install a lowering kit after my new garage was built in a few months. I don't have the room to rebuild them in my shed, does any one know approximately what this would cost for a 95 RoadKing FLHR from the dealer?
    Thanks, Devolution.
  11. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Prob. Alot Cheaper To Order Your Stuff Online Or Catalog If Your Going To Do The Job Yourself. If Not I Would Go To Some Indy Shops And Do Some Match Pricing. let us know how much it's going to cost you, I know a good place to go for cheap complete front ends, pretty much all under 500 bucks. be alot easier to just change out the hole front end with shorter forks.
  12. chucktx

unless your shed is the size of a portacan, you should have plentyof room to build the forks.....i have done it on a kitchen table, with the bike in the livingroom.............:)
  13. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

"Unless your shed is the size of a portacan" Chuck, ya just crack me up!:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
  14. chucktx

as a famous blonde once said..." let me entertain you"...........:)
  15. Devolution

Devolution New Member

Thanks Chuck. My sheds just slightly larger than a porta-can, I can't get the jack under the bike. My garage will be built in about 6 months, but I diffinately can't wait until then to rebuild the forks. The way it's leaking now makes for a shorts changing panick stop. The oil hits the rotor and get sprayed every where.
    -Devolution.
  16. chucktx

you definatly dont need oil on the brake pads......it stops the squeek but sorta screws with the stopping power!!!!!!!!!! be carefull!!!!!!!!!:)