1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Fork Oil

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by bushwackerhd, Nov 12, 2007.

1. bushwackerhd

bushwackerhd New Member

Working on a 02 Ultra and the fork has drain plugs but no schraeder valve to release the pressure. Am I missing something, on my 03 the front end is gas charged and has no drain plugs. On my 00 both valves were in back behind the saddle bag. Any insight would help.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I don't think the 02 have the valve for the front i think o1 was the last yr for that , i was just thinking about doing my 03 E glide fork oil i'll just pull out the book 7 see what it's all about
  3. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

You need to remove the ignition switch knob, the lower inner fairing cover and then remove the caps on top of each fork. The service manual shows this quite well along with instructions to remove the ignition switch knob.
  4. bushwackerhd

bushwackerhd New Member

Appreciate the info. I'll have to see if I can locate a service book for a 02. I have one for a 03 would it be the same procedure?
  5. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

The 02 Ultra did not have the air assist on the front forks as in previous years. The 03 went to a cartride in the left fork and a plain fork on the right. Servicing both of the forks of the 02 would be the same as doing the right side on a 03. The procedure for removing the lower fairing piece and the ignition switch knob ar identical.
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

vybr8er thanks for that info sure glad i have the service manual for my 03 , I get to learn somthing new :D
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

curious as to why there would be two different forks???
  8. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

in the manuel for my 03 fxdx you have to rebuild the forks to change the oil. does anyone know of an easier way? these forks have a preload and rebound adjustment at the top, compression adjustment at bottom.
  9. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

I just replaced the fork lowers on my '07-FLHTi for chrome ones & it was a bit more than I expected.I spoke to a tech at the dealership & was told I may not get the proper fluid level needed without complete disassembly as per the manual states.Guess what?,Learned the hard way as some of the oil spewed back & threw off my measurement of ozs....
    So now being pissed off,tired & hungry(blew-off dinner);I cleaned up the garage a bit & went to sleep.:witsend:
    Fork swap round-2:read manual,follow instructions,dis-assemble & re-assemble as per instruction.
    ***FILL FORK TUBEw/SPECIFIC OIL AMOUNT & PROCEDURE=JOB COMPLETED,NO SPILLS ON FLOOR & PIECE OF MIND IT'S DONE!!!(correctly)
    p.s.-the whole deal is about getting the trapped air out. 00 wildglide.
  10. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

Dis-assembly Procedure

SORRY GUYS,
    I just responded in the wrong context of the subject.I think it's time to go to sleep.
    Good night all!!!
    00 wildglide::cool: