1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Forks were leaking from the top!!!

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Danceswithempties, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Danceswithempties

Danceswithempties New Member

So I got out for a ride today & found fluid coming from the upper portion of both forks at the upper tree. At first I thought it was from the fork seals, so I pulled over & wiped both legs down. As I started ridding again I noticed fluid appearing from the lower side of the upper tree. D@mmed if the forks weren't leaking from the top. I bought this bike (07 FXSTC) about a month ago & and the previous owner raked with Pro One trees & extended the front end by about 4". He also added 18" apes & braided lines. I don't no who did the work as this was a repo & I purchased it from a 'car dealer' who got 4 of them last year. I got the bike for a song & have had to put a little work into it, but nothing major...
    So tonight I rip the front end off & lowered the legs in the the clamps to see what seals needed to be replaced. The Pro One upper tree covers the top of the fork leg. Once the top of the forks were visible, I found that the brass fill screws were backed off with the right side backed out to the point were it would have fallen out if not capped by the upper tree.
    First the B@tch: I wish shade tree mechanics would stick to shopping carts! As I found not only this problem but wheel spacers installed backwards, the axle torque wrong & pinch bolts just barely snugged up. Had the bike safetied & thought I went through it fairly thoroughly myself, I guess not enough.
    Second, the question: The filler screws are now correctly seated, but conceivably how much fluid could I have lost? (slight seep) & could I have anyway damaged anything internally in the forks by ridding this way for the last month / 1300 miles? Although the problem wasn't evident until a couple of weeks ago; now that I figured out that all those rain drops may have not been all rain...:rolleyes:
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the best thing to do is drain all the fluid and replace with the recommended amount. you probably have not done any damage, as you caught it just as it was starting to leak.....
  3. Danceswithempties

Here's where it's probably going to get cute: The lowers are factory for sure, the chrome sliders are not. Different set up on top than manual & I believe 4'' extended with these ones. I put the bike back together before I this posted this thread (naturally) & will have to take over to a dealer or the local Tim Hortons to compare the length. :p The remove & install on the front end probably took about 3 1/2 hours shop time & 2 whiskys & ice after. Not a big deal to pull it apart again to do a proper service, just not sure how much fluid is needed as compared to stock. My avatar is the baby I'm talking about, if you didn't already know...
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

1) Good thing it leaked, bike was talking to you, letting you know you have other issues for safety..
    2) As Chuck said, best bet is to drain and refill to spec for wet refill
    3) doubt it's hurt anything but by draining you'll see how much you lost, I bet it's not much
    4) Be sure to get everything locked down tight...
  5. Danceswithempties

Just going to finish second coffee & take it out for a test ride. It never bottomed out & or gave any weird handling characteristics, other than a little more dive than normal with braking. That is a little hard for me to judge though, as this is my first Softail & it's not stock. I knocked that up to the loose filler screws. It hasn't done so stationary after the reinstall. I will definitely service the forks again, but just want to make sure leaks are gone. I have to agree that it was a blessing in disguise, as I hadn't realized a monkey had messed with it... Assuming people know what they are doing could kill ya!
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

If your just just 4 over read your manual & use the stock amout for your fine ride , It will be just enough to make it ride right , & like HRK sais double check all the parts you mentioned & then some , & allways double check after about 2-3 hunderd miles & keep a eye on it in between
  7. Danceswithempties

Will do & thanks for the advice. Is there a rough formula for the ratio of amount of extra fluid needed from stock levels to the amount of extension on the slider (inside diameter of tube remaining the same as stock) to the weight of the rider? Will use factory specs for servicing.
  8. Danceswithempties

Ok just got back from a test ride. No leaks, less dive & better feel of the road. Not so spongy anymore... And if possible because of the original hack job installation, the front end feels tighter. Nothing came loose or wondered south, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on things out front! I let you know how it goes...
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

cool!!!! glad ya got it goin your way! have fun and stay safe!
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Good deal I bet it's like riding a new bike or better , just get about 500 miles & double check everything ride safe & many miles :cool:
  11. Danceswithempties

Thanks Again. Actually been a very good bike so far. Any issues I've had so far could be handle out of my own garage with no extra tooling needed. Highest cost of a part for any fix has been about 7 bucks. An exhaust gasket on the rear jug... Knock on wood that it stays that way!
  12. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

In my 03 Dyna manual, it list's two ways to fill the forks with oil.
    One way is to put in a measured amount, FXD 10.6 oz, or with the spring removed, fully compressed, measure down from the top of tube to the oil. FXD is 6.69 inches.
    On your bike the measurement or amount maybe different, check your service manual. With the extended forks I would use the measurement instead of the amount. A longer fork tube will need more oil. The balance of the amount of oil versus the amount of air above the oil will effect the action of the fork.
    The air acts like a cushion. The smaller amount of air will compress less than a larger amount. This makes the fork a bit firmer.
    Sport bikes often use an air fork and air shocks to be able to adjust the firmness of the suspension in a quick and easy way. It can be done by juggling the amount and weight of the fork oil or adjusting the compression and rebound of the forks and shocks. Being able to add a or release air pressure is much faster and easier.