1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Forward controls seem more natural/to me

Discussion in 'The Polling place' started by FriendGregory, Mar 24, 2008.

1. FriendGregory

FriendGregory New Member

So, here I have this touring bike that I am having a great time with but, I find at taking off and my feet go right up to the highway pegs. I then have to move my feet to shift or break. I am thinking I will need to change bikes one day( Heritage with taller bars, forward controls, mags instead of spokes or Fatboy ) but, I thought I would ask you guys;

Does anyone feel that forward pegs and controls are the only way to go or, these floorboards are just the best ever?
  2. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

WAY too new to bikes to know about the floorboard thing. But my Sporty has foward controls and I like them a lot. However, on much of a ride I find myself hanging my heels on the passenger pegs and being more comfortable. This isn't a problem until wifey starts riding with me LOL. I have given thought to adding a set of mid-pegs to the Sporty. Get the mounts for the normal mid controls and doing a little trick on them and only mounting pegs. Everyone I ride with says you can't have too many places to put your feet and I am starting to believe them.

As an official answer, I do love my foward controls. Possibly going with a slightly taller bar than I have now might let me set up more (leaving the begging dog position of the Sporty's ride) and may never move my feet off the fowards again.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i like the floorboards, along with the hiway pegs on the crashbars. i also put my feet on the top of the crash bars. i have had foward controls on bikes in the past, and they were comfortable. i like the setup i have now better. i am able to move my legs around into different positions. having one set of pegs would limit this. my opinion...................:)
  4. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

i agree chuck I to hang my heels on the hywy pegs and top of the crash bar, long rides but most depends on the weather, the left floor board is my only complaint, i know what and how to fix the shifter prob just ain't done it. was down at thunder mountain yesterday looking at sportys, for my son, and he definatly felt the dif in peg position, and liked the forward pos. best it was the bars he had the complaint about. my bro inlaws one has stirups on his hywy pegs, and the other has the mustash type crash bar both swear by them but neither do any distance on them ethier. the gold wing for being fancy has to be one of the most limiting for foot position that i have seen.
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

those little heel pads that go with the forwoed controls are the way to go , my son put some on his wide glide made all the difference , my E glide like the othere have pegs on the c bars about 4 different ways to rest my feet easy
  6. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Cowboy, what little heel pads? I have forward controls on my Sporty and may eventually get custom size versions because I need another inch or so forward to accommodate my 6"5" frame. meanwhile, I'm not certain which brand forward controls I do have, but they're small with little spiky meat tenderizer like foot grips. A pad sounds really interesting.

I haven't done enough highway cruising to know if forward controls become too limited and an extra foot rest would be good, but I can't even imagine riding without forward controls.
  7. fujimo

fujimo New Member

heelpads

you can buy them at most hrley shops,,,or aftermarket,,,i ride with floorboards ,,,and forward pegs,,,as long distance gives me other option of forward pegs,,, you will change feet position more often and stay a lot more comfortable,,,, used to put feet up on crash bars untill crosssing montana ,,,long straight,,, almost fell asleep,,, foot fell off bar ,,scared the crap out of me,,, saturday was on run on crooked road thru trees al;ong river,,, had feet on floor boards,,, went around corner and floor boards on rite side ground pavement,,, problem was my heel of boot was back on board,,, also ground half inch of rubber off it,,and threw foot off ,,,,did not scare me quight as bad as kenny who was behind me,,,said sparks shot over his head,,,, pops
  8. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

check out Kuryakyn

They got a set of pegs that are for forward controlled use. However they have a piece that flips out and down to hang your heal on. think they call'em switchblade.
    . ps
    I do not work for them just was looking at a set myself after I saw them on a used bike at the stealership. They were pretty slick looking and looked like they might help with adding another postition for someone's feet.

Attached Files:

9. FriendGregory

FriendGregory New Member

fujimo Sleeping on a moving motorcycle is not part of the plan.

"saturday was on run on crooked road threw trees along river,,, had feet on floor boards,,, went around corner and floor boards on right side ground pavement?"

Been there done that. Was thinking that the forward controls usually not being the lowest think on a bike would also help avoid that scrunch noise around the corners. The street grabbing my boot would wake me up also.

Keep it coming, goods ideas coming threw.:)
  10. fujimo

fujimo New Member

sleep

hey,,, i have dozed off more than once,,, do the same in a car,,, probably be my demise,,but i am 68,, so who gives a sh[[[[.pops
  11. FriendGregory

FriendGregory New Member

68??? oh no, next year you eat it.:roflmao:
    May we all last so long on 2 wheels.
  12. fujimo

fujimo New Member

eat it

i am not from calif,,,pops
  13. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

I have forward controls, no highway bars....I usually just strech my legs out on the peg & its just past my ankle....little uncomfortable when its bumpy, but it still lets me stretch out a little...