1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Foul Vibration??

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jul 25, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Is it possible that if your plug is fouled that it will cause vibration? I have that nasty vibration back that I had through my tank and it ended up being my rear tank mounts because I did not use loctite. I pulled both plugs. The front one looked a little black for my liking, but the back one looked good. I am going to pull the tank off again and look at the motor mounts, but in case this is not it, is likely that a fouled plug could cause this vibration?
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yes..............but you would notice it throughout the rpm range..........bad wires and coil can cause it also. bad gas will also.
  3. JohnnyBiker

That is what happening. before it was just when I hit 60 mph. Now it it at all speeds. If it were the coil, wouldn't you think that the bike would have trouble starting or the bike killing at random?
  4. JohnnyBiker

I have to pick up my manual from HD. What is the plug gap for a 1200? Before I was running the gap for an 883. :banghead:
  5. chucktx

i believe they are the same........
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Coils are usually like light bulbs, either they work or they don't
    rare that they "go out" over time.

Not saying it might not have a problem but normally it's on or off...
  7. JohnnyBiker

OK, this what is weird. I got the tank off and checked all of the motor mounts. They are all tight. I then pulled the plugs. What I found is baffling. The front plug was really black and had a lot of carbon on it, the rear was almost completely gray with very little carbon on it. So I then put the plug in the wire, set it up to the jug, hit the starter to watch the spark. Now the one from the front jug fired orange, and the one from the rear fired blue?

So I switched them around, put the one that was in front, to the back, and the one that was in the back, to the front. Same result. I proceeded to clean the plugs with some carb cleaner and a wire brush. I put them back to the wire and repeated the steps with firing the started to check spark. Now, both plugs are firing blue.

Is this my issue?
  8. hotroadking

front plug sounds fouled.
  9. chucktx

yup.........
  10. JohnnyBiker

OK, took the bike out for a ride and I think that it is back to normal. I put HD plugs back in it. I think that I done with those NGK things that people like so much. Not even 1k on them and they are fouled.

I finally got my Official Factory manual for my bike. I think things should be a lot easier now. What do you guys think?

Now I am going to let the bike cool down and then I am going to change the primary oil. :D
  11. chucktx

i use harley plugs.....cheap enough and i havent had one foul yet.......your gonna love the new manual........if ya can swing it, get the parts manual also. it has exploded pics, shows assembly. if used in conjunction with the service manual, ya cant miss!
  12. JohnnyBiker

Yeah I have considered that one already, but at like $70 a pop I think that I can wait a little bit on that. I think that I am going to at some point, bring the bike in to HD and have it gone over with a fine tooth comb. The thing that sucks for me is now that school started back up, I am going to pressed for time. This manual will help me do the smaller jobs.
  13. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

14. JohnnyBiker

Hey, this site is awesome, is there I way I can copy paste this somewhere in my UserCP?
  15. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I saved it in my favorities, don't know if you can save it for off line use, maybe copy and paste as a word document and save that way.
    don't remember who but someone posted it on here a while back.
  16. JohnnyBiker

I took a real hard look at my manual and I must say that this manual is AWESOME!. It also gives exploded views on parts for installation. I would have to say this is probably the best Service manual that I have seen in a long time. I think that I am going to keep the link that you gave as a back up because I really like it a lot too. Thanks HarleysLR :)
  17. JohnnyBiker

Well today I put almost 100 miles on and I glad to report that my vibration issue seems to be cured. One thing that I am doing a little different is that I am getting on throttle a little more that what I have in the past. I find that my bike like the higher speeds. Average speed today is about 70mph and no issues that are concerning. Thanks to all that gave input on this issue. Now I think that I am comfortable in taking the bike all places. :D
  18. hotroadking

You are learning what the bike needs and wants- good

The manual is good because you will end up saving bucks
    from not busting parts when you have the correct instructions
    and tq values...
  19. JohnnyBiker

Yeah now if I can wake it up a little more through the midrange, then I think that both my wife and I both will be happier. :cool:
  20. chucktx

yes......go to the top of your svreen and click file.....scan down to save page as.......then save:)