1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Found the rattle, replacing the shifter arm

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FriendGregory, Mar 7, 2008.

1. FriendGregory

FriendGregory New Member

Well after properly cleaning the carb with carb cleaner and putting a screw in the place where it was missing the:rant: stop for fully closed I ran into a looming problem. The shift arm is loose, I tried loosing it, putting it back where it belonged, and re tightening but, it promptly came loose. So, besides a new arm to the transmission, do I need any other parts. How long did it take you last time?
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i had to replace a leaky seal on my 06 electraglide shift shaft...cost of seal $1.29 cost of "incidental gaskets" $65.00 hrs to replace the seal 6hrs.....had to pull the outer and inner primary and clutches/basket......hope this helps a bit........:)
  3. FriendGregory

FriendGregory New Member

ChuckTX comes threw again, thanks bud, that help alot.
    Oh fudge, I was very afraid of that, dang I just want to ride.
    So, should I get a full set transmission gaskets and do the works while I am there, and what else? I already know to check the primary tensioner thanks to you guys.

I am going to ride anyway until I have the parts lined up or I end up towed.:rocket_bike:
  4. chucktx

no dont buy all the transmission gaskets....just the gaskets to get you to where your going. check your service manual, or better yet, if you dont have one, check the parts book at the dealer....i bought a parts manual along with my service manual. it actually breaks the parts apart for you and shows them in which order they go, and what you need or dont need to purchase......:)
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I suppose you're saying the shifter lever on the side of the trans is fubar'd or is is the shifter linkage?

The linkage can be easily replaced, however if the shifter arm is coming off you need to pull the top off the trans to get to it, and you will need to pull the primary cover, clutch and comp sprockets and chain.

It's a big job to fix a little frigging part.

If it were me I'd replace ALL the seals on the trans at that time it's too much work to skimp on this part.
  6. chucktx

that is where the 65 bucks came in,,,,incendental seals and such. i didnt need all the gaskets in the transmission.....as the shaft seal is replacable from the outside...............:)
  7. FriendGregory

FriendGregory New Member

The connection between the linkage/the one that has a threaded hole on one end and bolt that tightens a hole on the other and it attaches to the splined shaft coming out of the transmission.

for 1989-93
    J&P has the gasket 610-115; $37.99

Primary Cover Gasket Kits for 1965-2006 Big Twin
    Kits contain all the necessary gaskets and hardware when making inner primary repairs, primary chain, clutch hub, clutch or left side transmission repairs. One part number covers all necessary parts.

shift lever 620-902; $29.99