1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Frame lock for trailering

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by halln, Apr 14, 2006.

1. halln

halln New Member

I was at Daytona and saw a guy that had a nice frame locking system for his bike. The way it worked was it had a base that mounted solid to the floor of the trailer,and it had 2 tabs on each side with a 2" hole in each tab,then on his dyna(large frame bike) the bracket mounted at 4 spots on the underside of the frame, and it had a solid tube that when you roll your bike onto the trailer, the
    solid tube of the bike aligns with the 2 tabs of the base and you slide a large(1 3/4") rod through all and then put a padlock through the end of the rod,
    the soft tail frames basically worked the same except the bike part mounts on the front down tubes of the frame.This was an awesome system that requires no straps for hauling.
    Heres the problem the guy told me that it was called "the biker bar"and the info that he gave me was all 3 years old and the rights to this product has been sold
    to the S@S motor company ,however they are only going to produce the dyna frame models in the future when they start production again,I have 2 softails and was hoping someone out there would know where I might be able to find a couple of these for soft tails that might be for sale.

Thanks
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if you dont find any ready made, check with your local fab shop......a small one would be prefered......get with them and put it on paper.....might not be to expensive to build.....to me it seems like a pretty straight forward project that would not take log to fab......jmho
    chuck
  3. halln

halln New Member

well we have considered that, but the hard part is comming up with the split round brackets that bolt around the frame,it seems simple but the machine shops dont want to touch it for some reason.
  4. chucktx

their concern at that point is liability.......if you are able to convince them that there will be no repocussions if something fails, you should be home free......it is a simple process to drill a frame sized hole in a piece of stock, split it, drill and tap.....install....jmho
    chuck
  5. halln

halln New Member

Ok I actually lucked out and found the old suppliers and they put me in touch with the guy who designed it and he put me in touch with a guy who had one of each ,so Im good to go ,Thanks for your imput !
    (trailering is kinda cheating in my book but my sister lives in Daytona so I take my elderly parents down for bike week every year,so it is a must)
  6. chucktx

i dont see a problem with that........have fun
    chuck