1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

FreeBore

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Mar 8, 2013.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Ok, now that I am a pistol owner and I have purchased some ammunition, I am trying to verse myself as well as I can so when people are speaking I can at least follow along in the conversation.

I was on a site, one that loves guns way more than what this one does and is a bike forum, a person was talking about how dangerous reloads can be. Yes it has been mentioned here but no real detail was ever given. The guy was animated about how strongly he advised against using "reloads." One of the things that he pointed to as a potential issue was the bullet length. He had stated that a lot of times when bullets are reloaded that it they are too long which then reduces the "freebore" distance. My basic understanding thus far of freebore is that it is the distance from the chamber (throat) to the beginning of the rifling lands. The potential issue is that when a bullet has been reloaded and is longer that this could be an indicator that the bullet is loaded hotter and some times a lot hotter that what may be safe. My understanding is that the common amount of freebore is .060. One can add freebore but this doesn't seem practical in a pistol for reload useage. So what is the alternative??
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

NOthing wrong with reloads, as long as you know the source
    check the reputation, we run them all the time have a guy here
    that makes them. Also GA Arms sells a ton of reloads, but they have
    big time high end machines and techs.

Even factory loads can fubar, the big issue is getting a double powder
    load in a shell. But that is doing it yourself.

Check around and see who sells them
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I personally don't trust just anyone for reloads. I have shot reloads from a couple of different companies and have had two issues. Both times it was no powder under the round. Even loading your own its not suggested to do it when others are wanting your attention. Very easy to double the powder or no powder. As for proper length you have to be sure each bullet is seated properly when reloading. Reloading is a very precise operation and I would not buy just anyone's reloaded rounds.
    Have you taken it out and shot it yet?
  4. JohnnyBiker

No, I have not been able to get out and shoot it yet. We keep getting snowed on...:rant::rant:
  5. FLHTbiker

So, got chains got 4X4, still go to work. Or is it an outdoor range.
  6. JohnnyBiker

+1
  7. FLHTbiker

So you guys have no indoor ranges to shoot at?
  8. JohnnyBiker

We do, but for me I would have to drive there which is no big deal but my schedule has changed. Finding the time is the issue more than anything.
  9. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

When I was re-loading for my 30-06 one of the things you would do is to set how far the bullet was seated in the case to give you maximun lengh for you rifle(elliminating Almost all free flight form case to rifling FOR YOUR PARTICOLAR GUN. All guns are slightlt diffent.You would start by seating a bullet over lenght(in a no charge shell and gradually moving it in so as the bullet would be JUST be off resting against the rifling. Then you would eliminate free flight or free bore. So my bullets would not be good in someone elses gun. Because if my buddies gun had less free bore bulletts would jam against rifling causing higher pressure which could be catastrophic.Only re-loads that wpould be safe in that regaurd would be the same overall lengh as factory ammo. Also as metioned double charged or under,or no charged powder loads would be catastrophic also. Under charged slugs get stuck in the barrel and next shot Kaplooy.
  10. FLHTbiker

Yea and the old brass can stretch and also has to be resized so they are the same length. That's when the old brass if fired to many times can get to thin and crack or split. That's why it's important to clean the used brass, makes it easier to inspect for defects.
    Reloading can be a tedious job but if done right it can also be rewarding as in cost saving but then that's only good for guys like me that do a lot of shooting.
  11. charlie46

Yes. When you re-size a case it actually "grows" in the re-sizing die. Then should be trimmed to your required length. I did a lot of shooting in the past and found that re-loading was a nice break. Good quiet alone time. Takes concentration but relaxed me. 'Didn't save any money but was able to afford (for the same or less $$)to shoot at least twice as much as my buddies. The cartrigde combinations you could make for a 30-06 are endless.
  12. charlie46

Also I wouldn't want to "carry" anything but factory ammo because of blood sucking lawyers.
  13. FLHTbiker

Very true and some gun manufactures do not warrant their guns when reloads are used.
    I even used to cast my own bullets to. Built several muzzleloaders from scratch to, now that is work and very time consuming but when your done very rewarding. Was a good stress releiver to.
  14. charlie46

Never got into casting. But did much with .44mag and 30-06. Also what was fun was going to the trap range with a 20ga and busting 'em like the 12s,'course my 20s had the same load as the 12s. Wouldn't tell the others,Ha, let 'em think I was a great shotgunner.
  15. FLHTbiker

You want some fun shooting get a 62 cal trade gun. It's a smooth bore with no rear sight just a bead on the front. Load with a patched round ball and shoot a trail walk. Targets are different sized metal plates hung in the trees. Then you finish up loading them up as a shot gun and shoot skeet. Man that was the best fun shooting.
  16. lucky

lucky Active Member

we went thur about 400 to 500 rounds of ammo this weekend . And now we cant seem to find any to replace it. Is it as dry every place else or just the northeast.
  17. FLHTbiker

It's like that everywhere.