1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

From AMA

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, May 7, 2008.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

AMA Rapid Response Center

ACTION ALERT - WRITE NOW - SENATE INTRODUCES HEALTH INSURANCE BILL FOR MOTORCYCLISTS!
    TELL YOUR SENATORS YOU WANT THEIR SUPPORT ON THIS ISSUE!

U.S. Senator Susan Collins (R-ME) and U.S. Senator Russ Feingold (D-WI) recently introduced S. 616, "The HIPAA Recreational Injury Technical Correction Act.” Identical legislation passed the full Senate in the 108th Congress and obtained 177 bipartisan cosponsors in the House.

S. 616 aims at ending health care discrimination for individuals participating in legal transportation and recreational activities-activities like motorcycling, snowmobiling, skiing, horseback riding, and all-terrain vehicle riding.

This legislation addresses a loophole caused by a Department of Health and Human Services' rule making it possible for health care benefits to be denied to those who are injured while participating in these activities.

“While I was pleased that the rule prohibits health plans and issuers from denying coverage to individuals who engage in certain types of recreational activities, such as skiing, horseback riding, snowmobiling or motorcycling, I am concerned that it would allow insurers to deny health benefits for an otherwise covered injury that results from participation in these activities,” Collins stated.
    "People participating in activities like motorcycling, skiing, snowmobiling and other outdoor activities should not be put at risk because of a health insurance loophole. This bipartisan legislation will offer outdoor recreation lovers the protection they deserve," Feingold noted.

On August 21, 1996 an important opportunity arose when President Clinton signed the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), prohibiting employers from denying health care coverage based on a worker’s pre-existing medical conditions or participation in legal activities, such as motorcycling.

In 2001, the Department of Health and Human Services released the final rules that would govern the HIPAA law. The rules recognize that employers cannot refuse health care coverage to an employee on the basis of their participation in a recognized legal activity. However, the benefits can be denied for injuries sustained in connection with those activities. Therefore, you were guaranteed the right to health care coverage but not guaranteed any benefits in return for your monthly payments.

The AMA is urging all motorcyclists to notify their Senators and tell them to co-sponsor and support S. 616, "The HIPAA Recreational Injury Technical Correction Act."
  2. Blackmouth

Blackmouth New Member

Great post...thanks for the heads-up.
    I'll do my part.
  3. SK

SK New Member

I emailed US Senators Ensign and Reid of Nevada, strongly urging them to pass this bill. Usually with a senate bill, there's also a corresponding house bill too.