1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

From neutral to first

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jazzhog, Sep 2, 2008.

1. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

Hey crew
    Lately on my 01 fatboy I'm noticing that when I stop at a light and I go to shift from neutral to first it doesn't engage. I kind of have to kick the shifter a few times so it can engage but it doesn't slam in neither, it engages pretty smooth. It never did this before, I had switched my lubricant to redline shock proof and I noticed that the shifting was better and quieter. I have about 20,000 k and I've never adjusted the clutch on the scoot. Do ya think that this might be a factor? Or maybe is something else... HELP !!!! Thank's "JAZZ"
  2. duke76

duke76 New Member

I would adjust the clutch and the primary chain. Todd
  3. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

If ya check the maintenance schedule in your shop manual I believe the clutch is to be adjusted every 5K. I'm with Duke, adjust clutch and check primary chain adjustment.
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Yep I'am with Duke & ringo on this one
  5. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

Primary I did not long ago. But the clutch, well... I've never adjusted it. My indy shop might've done it though not really sure. I do know that I've never had a problem with it till now. Thanks for yer input I'll do that tonight... "JAZZ" :cool:
  6. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Mine's done that occasionally for years. I press down while easing out the clutch just a little and it will go into first.
  7. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

yep adjust it, you're see a big diff. ans those derby cover gaskets don't need replaced every time:devil: