1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Front brake system..

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Tommyc, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Hi all, on my 1970 FXWG I have no hydraulic pressure in the front brakes. I rebuilt the master cylinder and bled both calipers, still nothing.
    All the connections seem tight, I am thinking maybe a caliper is sticking.
    Are there any tricks to find out what my problem is???
    Thanks guys!
    TC
    :gah:
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Tommyc if you can find any leaks , double check the master cyl gasket under the lid , also open the top of master cyl & open the bleeder on the cal & let the fluid run down , you might have a air pocket after a few min & you see a good trickel comming out tighten the bottom up & then the top & also keep a eye on the fluid level don't let it hit th bottom of master cyl ,I like to add fluid about half way , that way you won't get any air in the line ,
  3. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Thanks Cowboy.
    What would be the symptoms if one of the calipers was sticking??
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

you should be able to look in the side at the B pads & have someone pull the lever & you'll see the pads move in toword dics/roter but even if cal stuck you should have pressure when you pull the hand lever
  5. whacker

whacker Active Member

If your not getting any hydraulic pressure at your disc brake caliper ,,it must be your master cylinder or line plugged feeding it...is the piston returning in your master cylinder?...there is a spring in mine that returns it...You said you bleed the brake ..did any fluid come out...And when you apply the brake,how did the front brake lever feel...was it spongy,and go all the way down,or did it stop b4 it got all the way to the end of it's travel.If you think your piston is stuck the brake lever should get "hard" when you apply the brake,and not use all of the travel,and the piston doesn't move in the caliper,...then I would say your piston is stuck...more info would help....
  6. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I bled brakes from calipers up using a hypodermic and tubing. Fluid came out into master so the lines are not clogged. The lever goes all the way in without any resistance at all, from full open to full stop. Yes the piston returns. no the lever does not get hard (but I do from time to time, hee hee) I know too much information.
    It seems like there's a leak but I don't see any fluid dripping anywhere since I rebuilt the M/C. There was fluid leaking out of the back of the M/C near the lever, so I figured it was the seal inside, therefore the rebuild.
    Could the pads just be worn so much that the caliper pistons travels full distance without engadging the rotors??
  7. whacker

whacker Active Member

Sounds like your master cylinder is bad,might be scored in the cyinder,you installed new seals ......to see if your piston travel is too much ..you could try to plug the line running to the caliper and see if your brake lever gets hard...lol(the lever)...that would tell you whats bad...
  8. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Thanks Whacker, I will try that next. "you da man".
    How do I plug up the lines nice and tight?
  9. whacker

whacker Active Member

If you got a plug, or a cap...not sure what your thread size is,or a another fitting with the tube and crimped the tube,and screw it into the master cylinder that should work...
  10. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

ok I think I have it figured out now. so if I cap it off before the calipers and the lever still bottoms out the Master is bad.
    If the lever gets hard, hahaha, there's a leak in one of the fittings or pistons or the pads are really shot.
    Sound right??
    Thanks for your help...
  11. whacker

whacker Active Member

Just make sure when you "cap" the line it is full of fluid,and there is no air in the line.,and if the lever goes all the way in it is the master cylinder...if it stays hard(women love that)lol..it is in your caliper,probally stuck piston...good luck ..Al
  12. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Thanks~!
    Keep it hard and the shiney side up guys~!! Whaaaahoo!
  13. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

It sounds like the M/C isn't bled right. Try unhooking the line from the M/c. Put a finger over the bolt hole, Squeeze the lever a few times. If it's working you should get fluid pushing out past your finger. It may take a few pumps this way to get the air out of the M/C. once you get fluid pumping that far, hook the line back up an bleed at the caliper by pumping the lever instead of with a syringe.
  14. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Thanks FXDX.
    I had fluid only coming up thru the M/C from the caliper side with a syringe, could there still be air hiding in the M/C??
  15. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yes. i use a vacuum pump, hand held to bleed from the master cylinder to the caliper.....inexpensive from harbor freight.
  16. whacker

whacker Active Member

Find anything out yet Tommy.....I've used the vacuum pumps b4 to bleed brakes and I let gravity do it's thing too,and the manual way...but you need to make sure all the air is out of your system...
  17. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Not yet Whacker, I was busy last night removing the inner primary from my other bike.
    I will let you know what it was and how I fixed when it gets done. I am gonna test the M/C first like you suggested. I am hoping there's air trapped in there. I forgot to bleed it properly when I rebuilt it. DUUHHH~! live and learn, right.
    Thanks for you help.
  18. whacker

whacker Active Member

At least when you get it done ..you can go for a ride...We got about 5 inches of snow on the ground,and it's around 20 degrees outside....
  19. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Sucks to be in your area. I went to Michigan once and it was so cold there was nobody outside after about 5 pm. Cold, overcast, dark, depressing to me. We can ride all year down here. I went to the beach on Christmas day one year. I have 2 bikes also so one is down I cruise on the other one.
    Lots of fun. The heat gets to you sometimes tho. It gets around 100 degress plus the 98% humidity is killer.
    Hang in there buddy it will warm up soon.
    I live in NJ when I was a kid, moved outta there as soon as I graduated HS. Loven it in Florida.
  20. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

OK try this,
    remove the cap and fill the MC
    Strap the brake handle back with a bungee so it's open (like you are braking)

Now attach Mity Vac to caliper
    build up pressure and then open bleeder valve
    let the vac do the work you will probably see bubbles

Do both sides, watch fluid level in MC don't let
    it get dry.

Then take a screwdriver and tap the lines
    from bottom to top. This can help loosen
    bubbles,

Fill MC
    Release handle
    Put on COver

Pump it up a few times