1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Front disc brake noise

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by surfit, Jul 13, 2006.

1. surfit

surfit New Member

I just bought a 2001 Dyna Wide Glide and the front disc makes a scraping noise when the brake is off.:mad: I went to the dealer and he told me to put a bevel on the leading edge of the pads and clean everything with brake clean. I did all that and the noise went away for a while :) but it's back. :mad: What else can I do to get rid of this noise?:confused:
    Thanks.
  2. CD

CD Guest

It's brake dust build up and will always be there with most pads. The best luck I have had is with the Lyndall Racing Brake Z and G pads. The Z pad works very well and is quiet and does not create dust build up. The G pad is Carbon Kevlar and is high performance oriented.

https://www.directparts.com/cgi-bin/dp.store/EN/Product/LR7195Z
  3. biken bob

biken bob New Member

I have A 2001 Electra Glide Classic, started making rubbing noise on front brakes shortly after I bought it .:mad: Previous owner just changed brake pads. Called local dealer , he said noise is common not to worry. Took calipers off , pumped pistons out some, sprayed with Brake Kleen , then cleaned with Q-tip, noise went away but came back twice , left alone this year not as bad. Good luck.:)
  4. aaron

aaron New Member

I have delt with several bikes that do this. You can monkey around and get it to stop for a while and it will just cone back. As stated previously, just tell people to live with it. I like the stock rotors and pads as they are cheep (Free Takeoffs), plentiful, and work really well.
  5. CD

CD Guest

Aaron, sorry, have to disagree with you on this one. I have used LRB's in both flavors on the 2KRK and very rarely have the noise much less squeaky brakes.

As far as effectiveness goes? These are the best brakes ever has installed on a bike. Stock rotors are fine and the stock pads are okay but, try some LRB Z pads or Gold pads sometime. These really make a good brake into a **** decent brake.
  6. SkyKing

SkyKing New Member

I had a bad squeak on my front brakes. Only noticed it when the engine wasn't running. When it is I can't here a thing. I put the LRB brakes on and no more noise...for about 1000 miles. Now the sqweak is back. What ya think CD??
  7. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

I Was Ride'n Slow Up A Hill, Stop And Go Type Stuff, I Was Next To A Heritige And Every Time We Moved Five Feet I Could Here His Breaks Scratchin. Now I Notice It On Mine In The Rear. Same Problem On My Last One. It Took 12k For Me To Notice, The Pipes Muffle Most Of My Noise. That's The Joy Of Gettin A New Bike, As Time Goes By You Get To Here All Those Little Noises That Make You Say ( Hey It Diddn't Sound Like That Before)
  8. aaron

aaron New Member

I have too run a quality race type compound pad. I have used them all. EBC, LRB, and the list goes on. The stop great and do help with brake noise. I will run that pad on any bike with polished rotors and that is the only to get a good brake out of them. I still stand by my method. I have a lifetime supply of stock pads as long as people still fall for hype and the "bling" factor. I change out so mant rotors and pads that are just fine due to people having to have the best. I try to talk them out of it but it seldom works. Some just have to have the polished look and the killer pads. Thats fine with me. I beat on my bike and I mean beat, and the stock brakes work just fine. I'll live with the noise.