1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Front forks fluid change

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Dew Rag, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Dew Rag

Dew Rag New Member

i need to change the front fork oil on 2002 Road Glide. Do I need to remove the front fairing to do so? I have never removed the fairing and it has me concerned. Any ideas? Thanks:banghead::banghead:
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Do you have the service manual for that model?
  3. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

The service manual is your friend. It will give you step by step instructions. Not sure on the 02", but some of the past model touring bikes had a cartridge, (damper valve type) fork on one side and requires a special procedure for changing the fluid. The newer Road Glides have a damper valve type fork on both sides. These types of forks require removal from the bike to properly service the oil. The conventional type fork can just be drained and refilled with the proper amount of fluid. In either case you will need to get at the cap at the top of the fork. This will require some disassembly of the fairing and/or instrument cluster.