1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Front master cylinder replacement

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Scootertrash, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Scootertrash

Scootertrash New Member

I have a 98' Dyna Wide Glide that I have purchased a 4 piston front brake caliper to upgrade the old 2 piston caliper. My question is...what size bore should the new master cylinder have to get the full potential from the 4 piston caliper....and is it possible to get a master cylinder with a bore that is Too big.? I've called the local harley dealers and they dont have any thing in stock and I dont want to order it until I'm sure of what I need. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.:banghead:
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

The same as what's on the bike now. single disc 9/16 bore and dual front brakes I think is 11/16 bore. The bore size of your M/C will be stamped on it, you'll see it when you take it off the bars.
  3. Scootertrash

Scootertrash New Member

so.....you're saying I can go from a 2 piston caliper to a 4 piston and I don't need to change the master cylinder.? awesome....thanks.....going fast is alot more fun when you can stop....thanks again
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i am not sure on this, but i think you have a single disc setup. and it uses a 9/16 bore. if going to a 4 piston, i would think the 11/16 bore would suit you better, as you are moving 4 pistons compared to 2, as in a dual caliper setup. i dont believe you can have to much bore, but you can have too little.........
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

When I changed my single puck Evo front brake to the 4 puck TC style I used the stock 9/16 M/C, then I upgraded the switches to 96-up style which would be the same as on your 98, I used a M/C from a 2005 single disc TC which was the same bore,9/16...The TC's have a 4 piston set up.
    There is more volume of fluid in the dual disc because of the extra brake line and the second caliper,thats why 11/16 bore M/C is used.
    The 9/16 will provide enuf pressure to operate a single disc set up provided you got all the air out of the system.
    A differential bore 4 piston caliper will work better than the 4 piston TC calipers because the piston gets smaller the farther it is away from the brake line and the smaller piston needs less pressure to squeeze it than the larger one close to the line and have a more even squeeze on the pads, TC's pistons are the same size.
    The TC calipers are a major improvement over the Evo calipers but they're not the best, a differential bore multi piston caliper will provide more even pressure to the pads and better braking.
    You don't need a larger M/C until you add more calipers.
    When you hop up your engine , it's a wise move to beef up the brakes.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

thanks lucifer.... havent done that swap and figured 2 pucs vs, 4 pucs.....bigger bore.....:) :cool: