1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Front Rotor Decision

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 03LD, Jan 21, 2018.

1. 03LD

03LD Member

Was looking into getting a new rotor. EBC offers a wide or narrow rotor. To me the wide would give more cooling area vs the narrow. They are both 11.5" with wide having 2" surface area and the narrow 1.5. Same pads. Any one have any experience with either? Can't decide.
    Thanks
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I've no experience with that rotor, but my 2cts is that the caliper working on it is a bigger factor. If you change the rotor and stay with the same caliper, you will most likely see no difference in braking.

How many pistons are in your caliper now? I went to a four piston caliper from PMC and am happy I did.

Rotor width impacts heat build-up, which can impact braking power, a big factor if your racing or riding in places that require constant braking. More is better in those situations, but having more weight on the wheel overall is a trade-off that the vast majority of riders don't need. I'd go narrow unless you really heat 'em up often.

Good luck and ride well!
  3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Here's my opinion: If you stay with the same calipers and master cylinder, YOU WILL SEE LESS BRAKING POWER WITH THE NARROW SURFACE ROTORS. Think about it!!!! You'll be wasting brake pad surface. In order to gain anything from the narrow rotors you will need to change the pressure (advantage) by changing the master cylinder to one that applies increased pressure for the effort applied to the lever. Cooling? I ride hard and have one from rotor. I always favor the front brake over the rear due to it's efficency. I never have had a an issue with brake fade or warped or hot spotted rotor. Even summertime in Phoenix. I did however up grade to a Harley Floating rotor to match my Harley Thunder Star wheels. (No difference in braking between the stock rotor and the Thunder Star one.

Now, a worth while up grade that helps braking control on my FatBoy was installing Progressive Suspensions Mono tubes in my forks. I can lay it HARD on my front brake now and the front end dive is is much less . The bike is much more controllable when into hard front braking. (I also did Progressive rear but that had no effect in braking just much better overall handling). Like I said, I ride hard!
  4. 03LD

03LD Member

Thanks. I ride fairly hard sometimes too but not racetrack hard. Never gave a thought about extra weight on the wheel.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't worry about the extra grams or two...

I would look into an HD floating rotor it helps
    dissipate the heat and less chance of warping
  6. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that you would also have to change the caliper for the narrow rotors just like Red said.
  7. 03LD

03LD Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I am going to go with the wide rotor. It's only 1/4" bigger than what's on there. Have a large day!