1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Front Tire Cupping

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Hrd Rider, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Hrd Rider

Hrd Rider New Member

I just noticed cupping on my stock Dunlop Front Tire, bike is 2005 FLHTCUI.
    The wear is uniform on left and right side of tire where the tread side bars come toward center tread of tire. Wear is around the complete circumference of the tire. I monitor air pressure constantly and it is kept at 36 psi. I have 21,000 miles on the tire. The front Dunlops on my bikes usually will out last three rear tires before replacement. This is an original tire that came on the bike and was balanced at the factory. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks, John
  2. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I usually chew up front tires, my problem is not keeping the front tire properly inflated..which is not your case, another problem is that I ride a little agressively and use a fair bit of front brake. On my E-G I have 32,000 kilometers..(20,000 miles?) and it is starting to show signs of cupping and I've been very good about air pressure on this bike so maybe you're just riding the bike is the cupping affecting the bike when you lay it over in a corner?
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

The worst brand of tire that I have ever had for cupping problems was an Avon front tire :mad: and never could wear one out in the rear as it would always go bad before it wore out. I hate those tires.

Dunlop's usually have held up pretty good in the cupping department. I ride a bit on the aggressive side and can lay that dresser over pretty good in a corner now and then. So keeping my tires inflated properly is real important to me and my front tire I keep at 38 PSI and the rear tire at 40 PSI. I know riding with low air pressure could create this. How often do you check it.
  4. Hrd Rider

Hrd Rider New Member

I check my tire pressure regularly, I carry 36 psi in both front and rear tires. When riding double I put 38 psi in the rear. I could increase front tire to 38 psi but my center tread would wear out faster and probably have a much harder ride. What concerns me is that none of my past Harleys have had this problem.
    Thanks, John
  5. Hrd Rider

Hrd Rider New Member

No problem when laying it over in sharp curves. I just got back from Red Lodge, Montana where I rode the Chief Joseph and the Beartooth Highways, they both have extremely sharp curves and I had no problems.
    Thanks,John
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

John, maybe its just a bad tire. Also, I know its a fairly new bike but you might want to check out the head bearing.

By the way I did the Chief Joseph and the Beartooth Highways last July, those two roads are a lot of fun. Going down the Beartooth towards Red Lodge you can really scrape some metal. :D

For anyone who has not been on it well, its worth the ride, kind of like the Coronado trail last year about this time, coming up out of New Mexico into Arizonia. I know CD, Sleepy and SK will agree on that road.

What do you do when laid over in a switch back corner to discover a small heard of MT Goats crossing the road. :eek: Remember that Sleepy and SK!
  7. Tumshie

Tumshie New Member

32000 K's is pretty good for a bike tire, and now that it is cupped you need a new one anyhow. Cupping on cars and trucks is usually a balance issue. Feathering is usually an alignment issue. A weak set of fork springs, low fluid, or too light of fluid could also cause this since that would allow too much spring oscillation and not enough dampening.
  8. Hrd Rider

Hrd Rider New Member

I do plan on replacing the tire now that I have noticed the cupping, however before replacement I would like to know the cause of the cupping. On 4wd trucks that I have owned I have had cupping caused by misalignment of the front end. I usually replace the front tire around 25K to 28K miles and still have enough tread left to pass state inspection but not enough for me to feel safe riding.
    Thanks, John
  9. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

I Still Got The Orig. Factory Dunlop On My Front. Got Over 12,000 On It. Been Runnin It For 3 Years. Treds Fine But Getting That Scaling Cracking On The Side Walls. I'll Change Mine Next Season.
  10. Hrd Rider

Hrd Rider New Member

Sounds like your tire is ready for a change due to dry rot, 12K isn't very many miles on a front tire escpecially on a much lighter bike. I've never changed a front tire on any of my Harley's under 22K. Even with 22K the tires still had 1K to 3K of tread left.
    Thanks, John
  11. FRXMAS

FRXMAS Banned A-Hole

Changing Tires

I Usually Change My Rear Tire Every 10,00o To 15,000 Miles Whether They Need It Or Not [ If There Is Doubt ] And My Front Tire Is Replaced Every Second Rear Tire Change.after 32 Yrs. Of Riding I Find That This System Has Served Me Well.
  12. fujimo

fujimo New Member

taaarrr

what brand tire you run to get 10000 to 15000,,,on rear,,, i get 21000 plus on front,,,and it will be starting to cup,,,but,,, most ever got on rear was 9280,,, most of my miles are cross country,,, west to east coast,,,etc,,,, course i may be a LITTLE heavier than most,,,pops
  13. FRXMAS

FRXMAS Banned A-Hole

Tire

I Always Use The Dunlop That Harley Reccommends For My Bike. I Travel 100 Miles Round Trip To Work Three Or Four Days Aweek And It Is Mostly Interstate. I Have 32,000 Miles On My 2006 Due To Several 800+ Mile Trips [ 0ne Way ].i Usually Ride At 65 To 90 Mph; I Am 5' 8" And 180 Lbs. My Rear Tire Usually Cost Me About $165.00 And It Does Last In Excess Of 10,000 Miles.i Will Be Traveling 500+ Miles To Daytona This Coming Wednesday And Probably To Pheonix,az. Sometime This Year.i Waited A Very Long Time To Be Able To Afford This Bike And I Intend To Ride The Paint Off Of It Before I Can't Get My Leg Over The Seat.
  14. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

Pretty dang close! 32K km=19,883.83838384 Miles:D
  15. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

HEY, I HAVE CHANGED MY TIRES SINCE THE LAST POST:roflmao: