1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Front tire on rear of bike

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by rkortan, Dec 2, 2007.

1. rkortan

rkortan New Member

I was cleaning my wide glide today and discovered the tire on the rear is a front tire. It is an me880 130/16. Should I be worried about this. I had new tires put on before I went to Sturgis this year and just assumed the shop I went to(independent) knew what they were doing.
    What should I do?
    Thanks, Bob
  2. duke76

duke76 New Member

Just drive it in reverse all the time and you should be fine.:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Seriously I would go back to the indy and ask him:wtf:
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i would go to the met site, and see if you can get ahold of customer service. ask them the same question....you will want to tell them the direction the arrow is in. the dealer/indy is gonna cover there bases, so if you need to get the tire changed, at least you will have some mfg backup....let us know what ya find!!!:)
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Metzler has a good site to , they back me up against cucle gear when they put a rear tire on my front , bike handle like crap cycle gear said tough stuff so I got ahold of Metxler & 30min later cycle gear called me to bring it in
  5. rkortan

rkortan New Member

I just spoke to the MFG about my situation. He said this is a common mistake made by some shops. He also said to change it because it can be unsafe with the wrong tire in the rear. The weight capacity of the tires is different and that alone is cause for concern. I will stop by the shop that did the work and see what they have to say.
    My concern is that it took 5000 miles for me to discover the mistake. I am willing to pay for the mileage if they will put on a new tire..........We'll see..........BK
  6. chucktx

let us know, be carefull!!:)
  7. bikerputz

bikerputz New Member

I'll second that...be careful. I getting a new sneaker up front so I'll make sure I don't get a rear. :D
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Not your fault it took 5K it's their fault its on the wrong wheel, i'd point out that they put your life in danger for 5000 miles by doing that if they give you any crap about paying for the tire

I would venture you got a front on the front, so it's a no brainer they should change it out, no questions asked no charges.
  9. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

I agree with hrk, I would definately point out thier lack of concern of your saftey, If they were concerned for your saftey the mistake would never have been made. I would also have them give you a discount on another front to match the rear, be an ass they will remember the screw up.
  10. rkortan

rkortan New Member

Front tire on rear

A guy walks into a motorcycle shop and says hey remember when I bought two new tires just before Sturgis. Motorcycle shop owner says, yep. Guy says welllllll the tire on the rear is a front tire. Shop owner says your kidding, bring it in right away we need to fix our mistake.
    I'm taking my bike in tomorrow morning to give them another chance......BK
  11. chucktx

sounds like they are a "stand up" shop....i would give them the second shot also!!:)
  12. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

When I read your first post I immediately thought about load capacity. Good thing you found out about it before something happened. I'm not a big fan of Metzler but I do believe in matched pairs. I'm sure the bike shop will be embarrassed enough or should be to rectify it. Good Luck
  13. rkortan

rkortan New Member

Front tire on rear

I now have my bike back from the local shop with a new tire on it..........NO CHARGE. All is good now. They were really apologetic. I will continue to give them any business I can.............Bob
  14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

that's always good to here , I see your in NV mabe you should post the name of the shop that did you right
  15. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

that's good to hear!!
  16. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Most honest and reputable shops would take care of it without question and good to hear that they took care of it for you.