1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Fuel coming out the carb over flow hose

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by swampdragon, Mar 22, 2009.

1. swampdragon

swampdragon New Member

Last fall, I rebuilt my carb with the jet kit sold here.
    I adjusted the carb, the bike ran great and everything was fine....I thought.

The bike has sat over the winter and I have not touched it.
    Yesterday, for the first time in months, I started it up. The battery was still good and it cranked right over.

Then, gas started pouring out of the hose that connects to the carb, all over the ground. It wasn't just a drip, it was a steady stream!

What in the world is going on? Did I have the carb adjusted all wrong or something, and just "thought" I had it right?
  2. 72 Ironhead XLH

72 Ironhead XLH Active Member

carb

Stuck float, fuel saturated float,
    try starting it, let it run dry, turn fuel on , try it again. Might dislodge any grit in the needle and seat.Otherwise it will require removing the bowl to check.
  3. swampdragon

swampdragon New Member

OK. I'll try that.
    I was extremely careful not to touch the float during the jet kit install. So I know I didn't "bend" the float or anything.

I'll tun off the fuel, and run it dry like you suggest. I hope it's that simple!
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I'll second that, your float is stuck or the float needle is unable to seat. The fuel probably turned to lacquer while it sat. When the float needle is unable to seat (close) fuel continues to flow and overflows through the vent tube.

I would drain the tank while you're at it since there could be some sludge there that will eventually make its way to the carb. The carburetor bowl and float area should be flushed with clean gas or fuel injection spray cleaner. Don't use carburetor cleaner as it is too strong for the soft parts such as the accelerator pump diaphragm. Sometimes the safest cleaner is gasoline itself. I put some in a spray bottle for cleaning, just be careful that the bottle doesn't get used for anything else.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i agree, the gas turned on ya. next time ya leave it set, either drain the whole system or add some stabil to the gas as per bottle directions......
  6. swampdragon

swampdragon New Member

That's all good advise. I'll drain the gas too and clean the carb.
    I did install a new needle with the kit too. I hope it's not that.
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You might consider changing oil, if you were overflowing gas out of the overflow chances are you might have drained fuel back into the motor, especially if you are using an aftermarket petcock like Pingle.

Stock vac operated petcocks pretty much stop that problem when the bike is not running, ie no vac.

But the non vac pingles can overflow while the bike is not running, good ol gravity works. Bike leans left so fuel goes down the cyl.

JMO drop the bowl, clean, make sure the floats working and at proper level,
    blow out the jets w/compressed air.
  8. swampdragon

swampdragon New Member

I still have the stock vac operated petcock.
    Do they ever go bad?
    The bike is an '01 with less than 10,000 miles on it.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

it can, either you'll find a ton of gas on the floor or in the bike
    or it won't flow anything..

I'd at least check the oil to be sure you are ok..