1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Fuel gage on a shovelhead

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by drillsarge, Feb 7, 2008.

1. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

Is there a way to mount a fuel gage on my 77 shovelhead:confused: . I have split tanks and have been told that it can't be done. I would figure that I could mount a sending unit and wire it to work. Any help is appreciated:D
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hey sarge.........yes it can be done. question, how are ya with tools???? it will involve getting inside the tank.....cutting a large hole in the side. or, adapt one of the gas gauges from a plastic portable boat tank...the kind that has the manual slider for a gauge. i feel the work involved to do a clean and sanitary job will outweigh the benifits of keeping an eye on the milage.....but, it can be done!!!!!!!.................piece of cake!!!:)
  3. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

I believe it will be easier to fill up the tanks, set the trip meter to zero, have someone follow with a 5 gallon can of gas and ride till I run out just to get an estimate of how far I can go:D :roflmao:
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

good idea.....but check it to the reserve level, then to the empty level.....that way in case ya do hit reserve, you have an idea of how far you can go untill it is time to push/walk......or call!!!:)
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Sarge, do you have the 3.5 or the 5 gal tank set up ? i had the 5 gal on my 73 shovle with some goodies in the engine & got about 300 miles regular riding about 225 miles twisting the wick hard :D
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You could scour ebay for a newer softail tank with the fuel gauge built in, change the mounts as needed and run the new 5 gallon tank.