1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Fuel Gauge

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Devolution, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Devolution

Devolution New Member

Hi All, I am trying to work out the bugs in my latest project. I bought a 99 FLHTC with 9K on the odometer. The bike had been sitting for at least for 2 yesrs in storage. All fluids have been changed. The bike runs great with out any leaks. Here the problem, I've run 2 tanks of gas through both with Seafoam, but the gas gauge is bouncing around all over the face of the gauge. The needle only bounces slightly if I am at a stop. The connections to the gauge and sensor may be a little corroded but I wanted to run this by everyone to see if there were any other suggestion. I know the gauges aren't accurate, but that needle is driving me crazy.
    Thanks for the help, -Devo.
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're on the right track, in that the connections are likely the problem. So I guess I'm wondering how we can help? Do you have the service manual? I do have the '99 HD bagger manual: if I can help, just tell me how......
  3. Devolution

Devolution New Member

Gas Gauge

Thanks Red Rider, I just wanted to confirm what I was thinking. I am currently waiting for the Factory Manual which is on order from the dealer.
    Sometimes I feel a little more confident if I bounce the idea off someone. I am new to Harleys but not motorcycling. The bug has bitten me and I moved up from an Evo RoadKing to a FLHTC Twin Cam, both in the last 6 months.
    Everyone has been really great in helping me and I am having a great time enjoying my bikes and renewed passion for 2 wheels.
    Thanks, again. -Devo
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

HD fuel gauges are not "accurate" I go by the Odometer and use the fuel gauge as a reference.

You can clean the connections, and you can remove the float through the fuel gauge hole once you pull the gauge out, and you can bend it to get it accurate but the bounce may still be there, could be a spring that needs to be adjusted, however, if you bend it wrong, it could be off more, or closer to accurate.

I've never seen one that was "spot on"

If it's bouncing wildly I'd say you need to check the float

BTW I'm guessing you have a carb bike because you didn't put an I behind the FLTCU designation
  5. smiley7661

smiley7661 New Member

I have a similar problem on my 99 FLHTC. When the tank is full, the needles reads fine, but once I get about 40 miles on the tank it starts bouncing, then shortly goes all the way to the "E" and sits till the next fill up. It used to bother me, but no I just reset the trip odometer and use it as my gauge.

Congrats on the new bike, just out of curiousity, what kind of mileage are you getting?
  6. Devolution

Devolution New Member

Thanks, I'm not sure yet about the mileage, Ive only been running it to clean out the carbs and tuning. I have a 95 RK that gets horrible gas mileage but I'm also really hard on the throttle. On the RK I think I get around 30MPG with open pipes and an Big Sucker air cleaner. -Devo.