1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Fuel Stabilizer

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by kett2, Dec 9, 2008.

1. kett2

kett2 New Member

Has anyone had experience with fuel stabilizers. Or are they really necessary? I have a new 2009 Softail Deluxe and with our climate here it may be sitting for a few months. Am storing in a heated shed if that makes a difference.
  2. Thunder99

Thunder99 New Member

Yes...use them! Gas breaks down in a short amount of time and the varnish produced can damage your motor. Stabilizer is cheap compared to the repair costs. Also, keeping your tank full will aid in the prevention.
  3. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Some people simply drain the tank but I recommend a fuel stabilizer for any lengthy storage. Though you don't have to deal with a carburetor bowl you still don't want to have the fuel turn to lacquer in the tank. Just make sure you follow the directions for flushing it out when the weather improves.

While you're at it hook up the battery to a battery tender to keep it fresh.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i dont use stabilizer in my bike....i ride all year...but i do use it in all my other engines...splitter,mower,generator...ect.....it does work. todays fuels seem to break down at about 90 days.....at least that is what i find........:)
  5. kett2

kett2 New Member

Thanks for the replies

I've looked into it a little more. I have found the products Stabil and Optimiser. Both claim good fuel stabilization and no draining in the spring.
  6. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

i've used stabil for years. the mowers, the boat, the bikes, the truck. not just for storage, every couple fillups. it is a mild cleaner and water remover.