1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Fxr Police Bike

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by gumby321, Jul 15, 2006.

1. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

LAS VEGAS WITH MY WIFE OF 25 YEARS WITH NO KIDS
    I JUST BOUGHT A 1991 FXR P. CAN ANYBODY OUT THERE TELL ME IF THERE IS A DIFFERANCE BETWEEN THE P AND ANY OF THE OTHER FXR MODELS?
    I KNOW ABOUT THE LIGHTS AND SIRENS. ALSO THE FAIRING WHICH IS LONG GONE. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THE GEARING WAS ANY DIFFERANT? HAS THE IGNITION BEEN UPGRADED? IS THE ENGINE ANY DIFFERANT THEN OTHER EVO'S?
    WHAT ABOUT THE FRAME? I HEAR ALL SORTS OF DIFFERANT THINGS FROM OTHER OWNERS. I HAVE BEEN TO HARLEY AND SOME OF THEM AT HARLEY DON'T HAVE BOOKS THAT GO BACK PAST 1996. SO NOW I COME TO MY NEW HOME FOR ANSWERS. I DO FEEL A DIFFERANCE IN THE GEARING FOR SURE. ON MY LAST FXR LR I WOULD GET ON THE FREEWAY AND BE LOOKING FOR THAT 6TH GEAR. ON THIS BIKE AT TIMES ON THE FREEWAY DOING MY
    75 MPH OR SO. THERE ARE TIMES I HAVE NO NEED FOR 5TH.
    ANYWAY IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS ANY INFORMATION FOR ME . I WOULD APPRECIATE ALL I CAN GET. THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE FOR ME AND FOR THE OTHERS. GUMBY 321

2. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Gump,

Funny, I almost bought a 91 FXRP about 10 years ago from a company that owned it for fuel injection research. They mysteriously lost the title so I could never get it.

This FXR was a true police bike. It did not have a fairing, just a windshield, but it had floor boards and hard saddle bags.

As far as I heard about this bike it was as stock as any other FXR other than these parts and the lights. If anything…. they may have put in a tougher clutch, but I never heard of a 6 speed police trans.

I have a HD Service Manual for 1991 and 1992 FLT/FXR Models. I never got to use it so if you can’t find one let me know… this one is just taking up space. There is no reference to a police version but it does indicate a FXR-SP what ever that means.

T
  3. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

You Missed Out On A Great Bike

HEY TOM, THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE. I MUST TELL YOU I AM VERY NEW TO ALL OF THIS. WHAT I MEAN BY THIS, IS COMPUTERS AND REPAIRING MY OWN BIKE. I AM 53 YEARS OLD NOW AND RETIRED 2 YEARS AGO. I WORKED IN THE MOTION PICTURE BIZ FOR 30 YEARS, BUILDING SETS.
    I HAD ANOTHER FXR BEFORE THIS ONE BUT IT WAS A LOW RIDER. THIS POLICE BIKE IS ALSO A TRUE POLICE BIKE. I BOUGHT IT OFF THE SARGENT THAT RODE IT ON THE JOB. HE BOUGHT IT AT AUCTION AND NOW I HAVE IT.
    IT CAME WITH ALL THE RUNNING BOARDS,LIGHTS, BAGS AND ENGINE GUARD.
    ALL THOSE ARE NOW OFF THE BIKE. I PUT MY OLD FORWARD CONTROLS ON AND JUST THREW ON A MIKUNI 42MM CARB. BOY WHAT A DIFFERANCE THAT CARB. MAKES. I PUT A LOWERING KIT ON IT AND ALSO LOWERED THE FRONT END.
    THE BEST THING I THINK ABOUT THE BIKE IS #1) IT'S AN FXR AND #2) IT'S A P.
    THEY LEFT THE PAINT JUST THE WAY IT WAS WHEN IT WAS IN SERVICE.
    IT HAS THE SALT LAKE CITY POLICE MOTOR SQUAD ON THE TANK.

I HAVEN'T SEEN A P WITH THE ORIGINAL LOGO ON IT FROM THE POLICE DEPT. ALL THE FXR P's THAT I HAVE SEEN. EVEN THE ONES THAT WERE KEPT BLACK AND WHITE. THEY ALWAYS TOOK THE LOGO OFF THE TANKS.

MOST OWNERS WOULD PANT THEIR BIKES ANOTHER COLOR. I PLAN ON LEAVING IT JUST THE WAY IT IS. IT HAD THOSE FINE SCRATCHES ON THE TANK AND FENDERS. OFCOURSE IT WAS IN THE BLACK PART OF THOSE TINS.
    SO THEY STOOD OUT BIG TIME. SO I TOOK SOME 1000 GRIT SAND PAPER AND A SPRAY BOTTLE FILLED WITH WATER AND DID SOME WET SANDING.
    THE BLACK PAINT LOOKS LIKE GLASS NOW AFTER I BUFFED IT OUT.

IF YOU ARE IN NEED OF DOING THAT LET ME KNOW. I CAN WALK YOU THROUGH IT. IT IS SO E.Z. IT BLEW ME AWAY. BEST OF ALL, YOU DON'T NEED ANY TOOLS TO DO IT. JUST THE SAND PAPER.

I DO HAVE A BOOK ON THE BIKE. PROBABLY THE SAME ONE YOU HAVE. IT'S ALL GREASED UP AND THE PAGES ARE FALLING OUT. I USED IT TO DO THE CARB, THE OTHER DAY. SINCE I NO LONGER GO TO A JOB. I HAVE MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS TO WORK ON MY OWN HOME NOW. SO NOW I NOT ONLY HAVE
    TIME TO WORK ON MY OWN BIKE. I DON'T HAVE THE CASH FLOW I USED TO
    HAVE, TO HAVE SOMEONE ELSE DO MY WORK FOR ME. SO IT IS TIME I STARTED DOING MY OWN WORK. THATS HOW I FOUND THE FORUM. I THINK IT'S GREAT TO HAVE PEOPLE, WHO HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE GIVE IT AWAY TO OTHERS. NOW I CAN LEARN TO DO MY OWN WORK AND GET THE SATISFACTION OF KNOWING I DID IT. THE CARB AND THE FORWARD CONTROLS WERE THE BIGGEST THINGS I HAVE EVER DONE ON MY BIKE.
    I HAVE THE TALENT TO DO THE JOBS. I JUST LACK THE CONFEDENCE AND SOME VERY SPECIAL TOOLS THAT ARE NEEDED FOR SOME JOBS. I AM FINDING THE NEED FOR THE KNOWLEDGE. THE MORE I LEARN THE BETTER OF I WILL BE. SO WITH EVERYONES HELP HERE I KNOW I WILL BE ABLE TO TACKLE JOBS I WOULD HAVE NEVER TOUCHED.

THANKS FOR GETTING BACK TO ME. AS SOON AS I LEARN HOW TO PUT A PICTURE IN I WILL DO THAT. TAKE CARE AND I HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU AND MANY OTHERS IN THE NEAR FUTURE...GUMBY321 PEACE
  4. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

By The Way About The Sp

If I Am Not Mistaken It Ment "special"........... Later
  5. Tomflhrci98

Gumby

The bike sounds nice. I like Police emblems but I didn't know you where allowed to keep them on. You’d get jailed for impersonating an officer.

It could be fun if you had all the lights and siren too.

Sounds like you figuring things out since you have all that time. I don’t think I got retirement in view at all for me. I change jobs too much.

Do you ever get on the east side much? Let me know we’ll go to Big Bear.

Oh, I just noticed you are now in Las Vegas. I'll have to look you up next time I go out.
  6. CD

CD Guest

Hmm, I never knew any FXRP came without the fairing as there is sixty zillion feet of wiring inside it.

The FXRP is actually a descendant of the 1983 FXRT Shovel head. The diaphragm spring clutch was introduced on all FXR's in 1984.

There was always rumors about special cams and ignitions but, the only thing I know for certain is that the 1988 FXRP my brother owned had a CA cam and a stock ignition box on it. He purchased it via auction in the LA area.

Here is an interesting link I use often.

http://www.hdfxr.dk/public/FXR/FXRHistory.aspx

It is not quite complete but, gives a good overview.
  7. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Mile Of Wire

HEY TOM, YES THE BIKE HAS MILES OF WIRES ON IT AND THEY WERE HIDDEN UNDER THE FRONT LIGHT. ONE DAY MAYBE I WILL HAVE TO CUT THEM OUT AND CLEAN THAT AREA UP. I JUST MOVED TO LAS VEGAS FROM ORANGE COUNTY. I KNOW YOUR AREA WELL. PLEASE DO CONTACT ME IF YOU COME INTO TOWN.
    I DO HAVE THE STUFF THAT WAS ON THE BIKE WHEN IT WAS A POLICE BIKE. THE ONLY THING THAT I DONT HAVE IS THE SIREN. MAYBE I AM BETTER OFF WITHOUT IT. KNOWING ME I WOULD HAVE HIT IT A FEW TIMES JUST TO GET THOSE KNUCLEHEAD DRIVERS OUT OF MY WAY. TAKE CARE AND SPEAK TO YOU SOON... GUMBY321 PEACE

8. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Thanks Cd

GREAT SITE WITH MANY FXR OWNERS VERY PROUD TO OWN THEIR BIKES. THAT DOESN'T SURPRISE ME AT ALL. THIS BIKE HAD ALL THE STUFF ON IT AND YES A ZILLION MILES OF WIRE TO BOOT. PERSONALLY I THINK THEY LOOK BETTER WITHOUT THE FAIRINGS. I KEEP MY SADDLE BAGS ON AND I HAVE A WINDVEST ON IT. I CAN RIDE FOR 500 MILES WITHOUT GETTING BEAT UP. PLUS THE WINDVEST DOESN'T TAKE A THING AWAY FROM THE LOOKS OF THE BIKE. AS FAR AS THE SADDLE BAGS GO. I LIKE TO BE PREPARED FOR ANYTHING. HERE ON THE WEST COAST YOU CAN BE RIDING IN 85 DEGREE WEATHER AND HEAD ON UP THROUGH THE MOUNTAINS AND IT CAN GET INTO THE LOW 50's OR UPPER 40's.
    I ALSO CARRY TOOLS AND C.O. 2 WITH PLUGS JUST IN CASE I GET A FLAT TIRE. I CAN REPAIR IT ON THE SPOT WITH THE PLUGS AND THE C.O.2.
    MY THING IS YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU CAN RUN INTO WHEN RIDING FOR 4 OR 5 HUNDRED MILES ON A SATURDAY. THERE ARE SO MANY PLACES TO TAKE OFF TO HERE AND NEVER BE BORED. FOR ALL YOU WHO HAVE NEVER HAD THE OPERTUNITY TO RIDE ON THE WEST COAST. COME ON OUT AND JUST START FROM THE BEACH AND HEAD FOR THE MOUNTAINS. YOU WILL FALL IN LOVE WITH YOUR RIDE TO WHEREVER IT TAKES YOU. GUMBY321
  9. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Hey Gumby, stop yelling.:D :rolleyes: :D
  10. Tomflhrci98

I guess it’s a good thing I didn’t buy that 91 FXRP . It kind of looked butchered in other respects too.

It’s a funny thing about police bikes and all that wiring. My first bike was a 81 Kawasaki LTD 100. I remember I had tons of wiring issues and finally went through the wiring and ripped out a bunch of wires that did not seem to go anywhere. I found out later that this bike was also a very common police bike. The same type used on the TV show CHiPs. You probably worked on that set.:D

I’ll be passing by Vegas on my way to Sturgis but won’t have time this trip to stop in ....... unless you want to come with :D .

Tom
  11. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Thanks For The Invite

I Have That Old Italian Disease. Mifunzalo So I Can't Do Much Of Anything For Awhile. Thanks Though..
  12. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Just to let you know i am not yelling i am just lazy. i hate typing and using the shift. if you would rather see this i will keep it that way. i think that most of the older folks around here like to see big black letters without their glasses. atleast i do...but so be it..i will not use caps...gumby321 peace
  13. CD

CD Guest

Gumby,

All he is saying is that when you are typing in caps it is considered yelling. Being that we are expressing ourselves via the typed word, how we type like bold, under lined caps etc, are used to convey the tone or intent of the message.

You're doing fine so don't sweat the small stuff it'll come to ya. :D
  14. Tomflhrci98

There is a shot you can take to cure that Italian disease. The only problem is it’s a 75 million to one shot that it will work.:mad:

I have the same disease that is why I’m taking the tent with me. It’s going to be an expensive enough trip with the gas prices so high and I use 91 octane all the time.

Let’s see…. I’ll probably do 3500 miles at 42 miles per gallon and $3.60 per gallon that’s ……where’s the calculator…… that’s $300.00 for just gas.:eek: Jeeeez. In 2001 it only cost me about $120.00.