1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Gas cap or cover

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by samvan, May 4, 2011.

1. samvan

samvan Active Member

I have a 2011 flhx streetglide.Is there any place I can purchase a locking gas cap or key lock for the cover that is compatiable for the bike. Harley dealers don't seem to be of any help.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

does't the top cover have a lock ? my 03 does
  3. Johnclave

Johnclave New Member

I was having one but my uncle took that let me see in may garage if their any
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

the FLHX is the street glide right ? it should have a chrome cover over the cas cap that locks , unless someone put the push button type on it
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I like the push button one, I have a gas cover with a lock but the lock is for my bikes key. So you need to go back to the dealer or a different dealer and order the locking gas cap. You have a number on your key that is under the black plastic portion of the key. They will need that number and they should know where it is and how to get the cover off the key, at least I would hope they do. Good luck let us know.
  6. samvan

samvan Active Member

yes the chrome cover has a lock, but it is universal with no slugs in them. all harley barrel keys will open any gas cap cover on these bikes and the gas caps themselves are keyless. Its crazy. My Harley dealer has no answer. They agree it is rather odd.
  7. samvan

samvan Active Member

the gas cap covers has a lock on them, but they are universal with no slugs in them. any barrel key will allow entry to open the covers and the cap themselves are keyless. its crazy and unsecure. my harley dealer does not have a answer but indicate they will check with the manufacturer to see if they can come up with something. This seems very odd to me.
  8. samvan

samvan Active Member

it has a lock, but they are universal to any barrel type key
  9. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I've never worried too much about the gas cap lock. While the locking cover may be universal if someone is going through the trouble of trying to open your gas cover with another key they're already too close to your bike in the first place. Someone willing to go that far will probably be stealing parts off your bike as well. At that point you don't need a lock, you need something to bust their knee cap with.
  10. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

See, playing with the lead again! :roflmao:
  11. samvan

samvan Active Member

I feel you there, but I can't watch the bike at all times. It only takes a few seconds to sweeten a tank.
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

order a matching saddlebag lock key'd to your bike
    and fit it to the cover...
  13. samvan

samvan Active Member

the saddle bag & ignition key are bike specific. The cover over the gas cap is the primary problem. The locks on the gas cap covers do not have tumblers in them. anyones barrel key will unlock anyones gas cap cover. The latch for the gas cover locks are HD specific and not compatiable with the ones for the saddlebags. The key is specifically keyed for each independent bikes ignition and saddlebags, but is universal for all gas covers. The gas cover locks have no tumblers. any,any barrel key opens all
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I would bet you could make it work...
  15. samvan

samvan Active Member

I went to two locksmiths. Nothing they could do. Every thing is HD specific. and HD is aware of the problem but have no answer yet.
  16. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

where ya located, samvan???
  17. samvan

samvan Active Member

Location, kansas
  18. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Your right, any key will work, its been so long sense I've used a locking gas cap I had forgot that. I just like the quick opening cap as I don't like getting the key out to unlock it when the gas jockey come up and says reg-or-premium and then says fill er up:rolleyes:. I tell em Harley's take premium and you always fill a bike up. :rolleyes: Then they hand you the nozzle.
  19. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Check with cardboard - he may have some ideas since he is a locksmith.:)
  20. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

you can order like locks from the dealer.....i have done it. took about a week to get it. i had an old tour pack and wanted my bike/bag keys to match. gave them the number and about a week later i had a like keyed lock and two keys......