1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Gas in the oil part II

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by fiddyfofoad, Sep 24, 2008.

1. fiddyfofoad

fiddyfofoad New Member

I removed the fuel line from the carb and put it into a small bottle with the pectock closed and left it for a day. I checked the floats and they work. Next day I go and check the bottle and there is 1/4" of fuel in it. Now this is the weirder part, the fuel in the bottle is honey colored, heavily varnished, and the fuel that comes out of the petcock when it is opened is almost clear.
    Any ideas?
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

How old is the fuel line?? I'm just guessing ,but it may be the petcock is not totally closing when shut off and is taking some of old deteriorated line with it when its seeping thru, when its open it flows faster and you don't see it as much. If its an old fuel line replace it and the crossover line, I've seen them turn to mush on the inside from having fuel in them for a long time.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

my thoughts.....there is only one way for the fuel in the tank to get into the crankcase. it flows out the petcock into the carb, past the needle and seat, into the intake...(which is aimed to the cylinders due to the angle of lean on the bike)....past the cylinders and rings into the crankcase. one or more of these items are bad......:)
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

That pretty much sums er up chuck.:)
  5. fiddyfofoad

fiddyfofoad New Member

Thanks for the feedback. A new fuel line was installed with the new petcock. The petcock is definitely n/g. When I had the carb apart to check the floats I slightly tweaked the tab that contacts the inlet needle to make it close a
    little sooner and tighter. The faulty petcock probably exposed a weak needle and seat contact. Anyone have any experience with a product called Sea
    Foam? A guy at work gave me some to put in the oil to flush any remaining gas out of the engine. Thanks Joe
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Seafoam works good stuff about 1 oz a gallon. Good for cleaning out the insides of the motor

I would replace the petcock and fuel lines, Pingle makes a good gravity feed unit higher flow, or just get a new HD unit.

I'd say that you need to change out any oil that has been contaminated with gas. but that's JMO>
  7. fiddyfofoad

fiddyfofoad New Member

Got a new petcock, n/c. Saturday I'll put it all back together, squirt some oil in the spark plug holes and turn it over by hand. Put fresh oil in with some SeaFoam, run it and drain it. Put fresh oil in it again and hopefully that will be it.
  8. chucktx

cross your fingers and keep us posted!!!!:)
  9. fiddyfofoad

fiddyfofoad New Member

Well, it appears that everything is ok. put the new petcock on last night and ran the hose into an empty water bottle overnight. This morning, water bottle had no gas in it. Put in fresh oil with 4oz of Seafoam and ran it for 20 minutes. Drained oil and put fresh in again. Hope thats it for a while. Come to think of it, my bike's been giving me problems of one kind or another for the last 2 years. Started right around the time I bought an old car to restore.
    You don't think? Nah.
  10. chucktx

yes i do think!!!!!!:D :D