1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

gas pouring from carb!!!!

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by smokey stover, Feb 24, 2006.

1. smokey stover

smokey stover New Member

hey all, i was in the process of rejetting my stock cv carb for the stage 1 upgrade on my 04 standard, turned off petcock, ran till cut off to drain carb bowl, i did not get to replace jets as i had an emergency, started bike ran a few minutes went and got ready to leave, when i returned there was gas pouring out of my carb, shut off fuel dried it out, but if i leave the petcock open it gushes. this is a vacuum system, is the petcock fried? what else could be wrong?

thanks
    smokey
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the float is hung.......needle not seating, or gasket not in place correctly.... in haste when assembling the bowl, a misalignment occured. just remove the bowl and take your time to reassemble.....nothing to fret over, it has happened to everone that messes with carbs
    chuck
  3. CD

CD Guest

You also have fuel flow with out the engine running correct? Then you most likely have a bad petcock diapragm to boot.

The idea of the vacuum petcock is to prevent this problem while you are not there to stop it.

Get a kit or replace it with a Pingle and fix what Chuck was saying....Good to go.
  4. smokey stover

smokey stover New Member

thanks Chuck and CD, i was gonna reply to let you guys know that i never got to taking the bowl off. i ran the carb empty then had to put the air cleaner back on and roll. i guess it must have been a stuck float as it has repaired itself, (forgot to turn gas off last night) it was bone dry this morning and subsequent rides since. (not far to ride around key west in a day) again thanks for your input, i'll store it for when i do get the chance to pull the bowl and rejet. my new v&h pro pipe hs should be in tomarrow if ups is on time.

keep the rubber sidedown

Smokey
  5. Seahag

Seahag New Member

If it ever happens again, sometimes a little tap on the fuel bowl with the handle of a screwdriver will free it.
  6. klagair

klagair New Member

Fuel leaking

You would have solved this by now, I'm guessing the diaphram was split. or damaged .