1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Gas Prices

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Ashley, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Seem to be dropping here. For the first time in a while I got gas for just less than 1 Pound per Litre. Which for you guys across the Atlantic, works out at 4 Pound a US Gallon, so still close to 7 Bucks for one of your Gallons. Does not stop me riding though.
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

When I drove past the gas station today, cheap gas (87 octane) was running 2.39$ per gallon.....that would make premium (92 octane or so) about 2.60ish....
  3. steveb

steveb Active Member

That is about what it is up in Minnesota. I hope natural gas and fuel oil go down before winter gets here.
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Regular, the cheap stuff is $2.99.9 per gallon here in the Portland Oregon area. :(
  5. 72 Ironhead XLH

72 Ironhead XLH Active Member

$2.62/gal here in NJ
  6. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Yea...$2.99 about the best you're gonna get around Chicago area....the City is always more....probably about $3.30...I never go there any more..
  7. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Depends where you go here in Charlotte... Some places are 2.67 fer reg up to 2.99 fer reg.:)
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

seen it today on Galvaston island for $249 low & $259 premium I paid $349 for Diesel at A top name brand station
  9. rickster

rickster New Member

seen it at 2.31 for the cheap stuff, 3.47 for diesel here in Des Moines. hope it keeps dropping before I drive 1000 miles this weekend to pick up a toy hauler camper in wisconsin.
  10. FLHTbiker

Diesel prices are what is ridiculous, gas prices are to but $1.00 more for a gal of diesel is beyond cheating it's downright robbery. We all know that diesel fuel is the lowest cost fuel to produce. I remember when diesel was lower than regular. This whole gas thing is part of what is wrong in the country and the world. God they must really think we are all stupid to think paying $3.48 or more for diesel is now a good price when regular is about a buck cheaper. :fight: :cussing: :angry:
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

has to do with road taxes on big rigs and production capacity..
  12. FLHTbiker

That sounds like an oil company statement. The taxes have not changed and demand is less so why are the diesel prices still over priced, and the answer is because they can get away with it.
  13. REDHEAD

REDHEAD New Member

Gas----did You Know

WHEN you had regular LEADED gas (red gas) they HAD to put in the LEAD!

THEN when they did not ADD LEAD the name UN-LEADED was used AND gas PRICE went UP.

Did you also know that PREMIUM (high octane) gas has LESS BTU's than REGULAR low octane gas!

WORDS like PREMIUM UN-LEADED are used to make the public think of
    "A HIGH POWERED GAS" when it is not....

Premium gas has additives to make it BURN SLOWER and not cause a KNOCK (pre ignition : early burning of an explosive nature) in higher compression or spark advanced engines....

Yes, most BIKES get MORE power out of our engines by using LESS POWERED GAS (premium high octane) because we usually have MORE ....
    compression----spark advance----cam durations----heat (AIR-COOLED)....

ALL above requires a SLOWER burning fuel and not an HIGH powerd quick explosive one as UN-leaded REGULAR....

MAYBE I SHOULD OF started a new thread???
    GAS & POWER? ***GAS FACTS***

others thoughts on GAS FACTS appreciated

signed....REDHEAD :fight:
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Not really an Oil company response,

refining capacity in the US hasn't changed,

There are more cars every year but we only have so much capacity to produce the end product, that's why we import some fuel, In FL we import our gas from Chavez, don't like it but while the rest of the us was getting fubar'd in the last gas crisis, our supply and prices didn't change one bit.

diesel is subject to higher over the road taxes because semi's use it and it's a rolling tax. So if you have a diesel car you're paying those extra taxes.

Tax on diesel and gas isn't the same.

I'd buy a diesel, the new MB and Fords are dead quiet, there are ones in Europe made by GM that get up to 65 mpg, but we can't import them due to the EPA>

Even if we did diesel would shoot through the roof, as we don't have the refining capacity to increase production.
  15. FLHTbiker

Most of the fuel we use here on the west coast comes from Alaska.
  16. phlsphyguy

phlsphyguy New Member

I saw gas for about $2.70/gal for 87 at most stations north of Philadelphia, PA....one station just doesn't get it..they have 87 for $3.89/gal! And there are people filling up their tanks on it when just across the street from this high priced station gas is $2.75/gal
  17. smiley7661

smiley7661 New Member

well I am still paying over 3 here in CA, but it has dropped, and some in the area have went to 2.99, but they are not near me, so it would cost me more gas, and time to save 10 cents a gallon, on 4.5 gallons....LOL I just wish we had these lower prices this summer, I might have pulled the boat out of storage.
  18. FLHTbiker

Price of regular unleaded just dropped to 2.879 per gallon :) here in the Portland area. Premium was still 3.07 a gallon and diesel is 3.48 a gal which still sucks big time. :(
  19. phlsphyguy

phlsphyguy New Member

Being a person that tends to analyze and observe behavior, I saw this a few years ago when fuel was around 1.60 a gal: There are two fuel stations across the street from one another. A WAWA and a HESS...WAWA is known around here for cheap gas. At the time it was 1.63/gal and the Hess across the street was 1.65/gal...a .02/gal difference. The lines were so long at the WAWA that the cars were actually blocking traffic on the cross streets...people waiting in line for up to 1/2 hour idling their cars to get the WAWA gas...the HESS station, which was .02 more, there was no one getting fuel there. Human behavior really fascinates me, as we are so programmed to get the cheapest cost no matter what the actual price. All that idling easily used the .02/gal saved.

I went to HESS to fill up....
  20. FLHTbiker

I would have to. Can you imagine the lines today if a station was selling gas for 1.60 or 1.62 per gallon. :rolleyes: :D