1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Gas Spitting From Carb

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by DODGEB8210, Nov 3, 2005.

1. DODGEB8210

DODGEB8210 New Member

I Have A 1995 Fat Boy Ev3 Cam, Shaved Heads, Crane H4 Adjustable Ignition, Single Fire Coil, Mikuni Hsr 42 Carb, Screaming Eagle Air Filter ( K&n ), Vance And Hines Short Shot Pipes ( No Baffles ). The Problem That I'm Having Is That The Bike Is Spitting Gas Out Of The Carb. At High Rpm's. The Bike Has Always Ran Great Running This Setup. I Put The Baffles Back Into The Pipes And I Still Had The Problem. Do I Have A Reversion Problem, Valve Problem, Or Is There Something Else Going On? Also,yesterday The Bike Fell On Its Face On The Way Home From Work. I Was In Fifth Gear 80+ Mph And It Just Lost Power, After Down Shifting To Fourth Gear And Rolling Back On The Throttle It Took Right Off With No Hesitation. What's Going On With This Thing?
  2. CD

CD Guest

Several things could be doing it.

The issue with falling on it's face at speed tells you that it has leaned out. That could be caused by a fuel flow problem, float setting etc. That is assuming *nothing* has been changed. Remove the petcock and clean the filter, if you are running an in line filter, clean or replace it. Drop the bowl, clean it out, clean the needle and seat and set the float level.

By spitback, do you mean a popping or misfire? Or just fuel in a stand off wave?

How many miles are on the top end? What is the compression on both jugs?
    Have you over revved it lately? Missed a gear? You might want to check for a bent valve or partially collapsed spring.

Have you verified timing?
  3. DODGEB8210

DODGEB8210 New Member

Thanks For The Reply Cd. I'm Running A Pingel Petcock With 3/8 Id Hose. I'll Check For Debris On Screen. When I Said Spitback I Am Referring To Raw Gasoline Coming From The Carb. To The Air Filter, Then It Is Slung All Over My Leg And Oil Tank, I'm Assuming It Is Because Of The Air Flowing In That Direction During Riding. There Is 43,000 Miles On The Top End. The Motor Has Never Been Touched Other Than The Install Of The Cam And The Shaving Of The Heads To Restore Compression. I Have Not Checked Compression, I Don't Have The Tools Or The Know How. I Have Not Checked The Timing Either. How Do I Go About Doing This Myself Before I Spend The Money On A Top End?