1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Gasoline shut-off valve

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by AZroaddust, Oct 22, 2006.

1. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

My '95 XLH 883 has a H-D round crome knob on the gasoline shutoff valve. It doesn't have the "handle" like when it was new. Is it safe to think the previous owner(s) just dresssed up the existing valve?

IF so, I've figured out that full left (Valve turned to the front of the bike) is full open, and 45 degrees back is full closed. (Valve is on the port side, or the left side looking forward).

Is the reserve position about 1/2 way in betweeen the twp extremes, or about 22.5 degrees from the closed position? I ran outta gas and don't want to do that again. It's embarassng and the bike get's pretty heavy pushing it in 100 deg. + heat!

Thank you,
  2. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

Sounds to be an after-market petcock. Pretty generally, reserve will be mid-point between on and off. If you had clear fuel line, you'd be able to see the flow of fuel to determine whether you have accessed the reserve supply.
  3. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

Thaks Jim. I think I'll give it a try and make sure I'm close to a gas station!

Clear lines? I think this bike was black with some chrome when it rolled off the assembly line. Now there isn't a clear plastic line or cable, or....almost anything anywhere and it's now chrome a black.:rolleyes:
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

does it stop at both locations?

Reserve could be past the mid point to the back of the bike

Remove the hose from the carb, pull it through and run into a 5 gal container for gas.

Turn the knob to all three positions, you'll know when you hit the reserve mark.
  5. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

I'll try it! Thanks for the good ideas, HRK!