1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Gear oil on dyna

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by freerider8, Sep 8, 2008.

1. freerider8

freerider8 New Member

Hey all riders I have a question for my brother who rides a dyna street bob. I think its a 1400cc 88 ci. The question is this He wants to change the gear oil but cannot find the drain plug on it to be able to do and where does it get added after you drain it, he also thinks that he may have drained some of the clutch oil in the mean time but he isnt sure. he does not have a repair manual for this bike and the harley steeler wants a fortune for one so I am trying to find some answers for him. also does anyone know where we could find a manual online that we can use without purchasing it?
    If anyone can help it would greatly be appreciated thanks
  2. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Get the manual. It may cost a few bucks, but you'll make it back quickly... I did!!!:)
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i dont know of any place on line that provides free service manuals. it would be worth while to get it from the dealer. there are a few different plugs under the pan. one of them you do not want to try to remove. have heard some horror stories from removing the wrong plug. what year are ya working with, maybe someone has a pic of the correct plug.........:)
  4. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Here is a link to a web site that sells the official HD service manauals. In most cases you will pay less then the stealer. They go all the way back to 1936. They have the sevice manuals for the mechanical, electrical and the parts catalogs.:D

Harley-Davidson Repair Manual Search Page
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

ON the newer FL's there are two drain plugs.

One on the front SIDE of the pan by an oil return line - engine oil

One on the bottom to the frame rail side on the right side of the bike - Trans/gear oil.

If you pull the wrong one the only thing you'll be out is more oil for one part or the the other. Just be sure they both (engine and trans) have oil when you are done.
  6. chucktx

hrk, i think there is a third plug, into a blind hole. but trying to remove it damages the case??? i have 3 under mine..........06 flht
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

The two plugs that come out are large bolts you can use a socket or they have internal machined for an allen key/socket.
  8. chucktx

you are correct hrk, but i still have three plugs.....two to the front, near each other, then one twards the rear........:)