1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Gearing

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Sep 20, 2012.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I want to swap out the low gearning on my 94 evo softail , I got this from another site

Cowboy I sent you a pm. It's cheaper for you to change your trans pulley to a 33. That's about 100.00. I spent 200.00 on a new rear belt and 100 on a 65 tooth rear pulley. Either way you will probably have to remove your primary.

I was thinking about going with the 65 rear sprocket & new size belt , the guy who sent me this did that & says 75 cruses all day on his 94 softail , but sugeset this as well any thoughts ?
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

two ways,

either change the inner primary gears and clutch basket which results in a higher
    ratio (lower gear) or the rear belt deal.

I did mine in the primary. 3.15 really helps keep the RPM down.
    from 3.37

Other way is a six speed od trans, you can get one from Jireh for about $500 and
    it will fit right into the cases, did it on buddies FL evo, works fine.

Will give you good OD, and you can leave the stock ratio for acceleration..
  3. cowboy

My softail has a 23 tooth up front & 70 in the rear , way different the
    n the FL models . I did pick up a ev 27 cam to help with all the rest , but do want/need the higher gear set up for the hwy / getting around here , heck cant go to many places without hitting a hwy , the lighter bike compaired to the flh with the same gearing as the flh would be great :cool:
  4. hotroadking

I ran a 6 behind my 124 and 6th is great
    the new softails with the factory 6 is smooth

If it's gonna cost $400 to do the primary
    or $400 to change belt and gears I'd put the
    extra $200 on it and get the Jireh Chinlee 6 speed
  5. cowboy

I tried to look up chinlee 6 speed , no luck , my old 94 stock evo 80 dont even come close to the 124 :eek:, either way I go will do for me , swap sprockets will give me a new belt whitch I'am sure I need soon enough any way & since it will be apart for the sprocket swap do all the bushinf & stuff :D
  6. hotroadking