1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Generator or Regulator problems

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by chopperchad, Jul 27, 2004.

1. chopperchad

chopperchad New Member

I'm having charging problems on my Pan Shovel. I'm running a 65A Standard two brush generator and newer style electronic voltage regulator. How can I tell which one is bad? I charged the field coils from Pos. batt terminal to the "A" terminal on the Generator with a jumper, still nothing??? I even killed a brand new battery because it wasnt charging.
  2. CD

CD Guest

Disconnect the output terminals and hook up a load like a head light or a high wattage resistor to it. Then start the bike. If the light lights up, the generator is good. If it does not, the generator or regulator is bad. Place a jumper wire momentarily from the positive side of the battery to the field coils if the light works the generator is good.

Remember, the generator can still need rework if the commutator or brushes or armature etc are bad. This test just verifies that the generator is functioning. To do a proper test you would need to be able to load the generator to rated output.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

WOW! a generator LOL man it's been a while since I've dealt with points coils, condensors and generators LOL
  4. chopperchad

chopperchad New Member

hey hotroadking

actually, I'm running a magneto ignition so I can still ride without a **** battery, but still need that stupid light for night riding!!! i'm just tweaking my pea brain on whether its the elecytonic reg. or the generator. I cleaned the "gennie" up and did my meter tests, it should be working. however I'm only putting out 75 mVDC...??? oh yeah which post do I use for feeding a spark to the field coils? A or F. F should be correct, but many have told me to touch the battery positive jumper to the A terminal, this does not make sense.
    cc