1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Georgia's new Speed limit laws

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Jan 1, 2010.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Georgia now has the "super speeder" law that went into effect today. Anyone traveling 75 mph on the state's two-lane roads or 85 mph on any other road will now be charged $200.00 on top of the normal speeding fine. The state says that the money raised from the fine will go to the state's trauma care hospital system. About 60 percent of all trauma-care patients are victims of car crashes, according to Georgia Super Speeder Law, a state Web site. Anyone traveling through GA today on the interstate system at 85 mph or more will be in for a shock if they're caught on one of our interstates!

Any new laws that go into effect where you live?
  2. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

The state says the money will go to trauma hospital care? All the politicians haven't gotten involved yet.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yea that's what I think the politicians got to get their cut first. Oregon is 65 on the freeway and 55 on other major roads.

Here in Oregon they passed the cell phone law no taking while driving, which is about time. Hands free device only. :) I hope it stops all these young women from texting and not watching the road. Also if your traveling here you got to move over when a emergency vehicle including tow trucks are on the side of the road.
  4. Panthera

Panthera New Member

Personally, I am opposed to any cell phone use while driving, hands free or not. The task at hand is operating a motor vehicle. That is just my opinion though.

I am sure the super speeder law is to truelly raise money for those trauma centers, and not make up for budget shortfalls anywhere else. The same way ciggy and alcy taxes all go for health care and treatment, DMV fees all go to roads, and the like. I am sure they are not just safe ways to raise revenue since governments never know how to stop spending (sic).

Or perhaps I am just a bit jaded.
  5. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Ontario has what we call the racing or stunt laws if your 50 over any speed limit you get $ 2000 fine 2 day suspension of licence and car impounded, get caught twice and everything doubles! Also goes on you record and lets your insurance company have a field day with your backside!!!
  6. amf4399

amf4399 Active Member

Wow, 50mph over the limit. That is pretty fast. Wait until the start installing speed cameras like they did here in Maryland. I believe they have it set so if you are 12mph over the limit you get a ticket in the mail.
  7. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Sorry amf thats 50 kph which is around 33 mph. Our tickets start at 20 kph (13mph over) and are like $100 and 2 demerit points. Too many points off and you need to see the judge:rant:
  8. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

My son has remarked how people drive slow here, a lot of times not even the speed limit. However, our limits are high. The Interstate is 75 outside of congested areas. I live on a state highway in the middle of nowhere, and the limit is 65.

Colorado just passed a no-texting law, which can include anything like dialing a phone. Personally, I think speaking with a hands-free device is probably safer than talking to someone in the car. Have you ever been a passenger with someone who feels the need to look at you when they're driving? Or people rummage around looking for a CD or something they dropped on the floor.
  9. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

We got the cell phone laws- people ignore 'em, the move over for emergency vehicle law - most of the time folks do obey that one since the emergency vehicle may well be a state trooper but then on the interstates, we still got some folks that won't let you in even though you're not holding up traffic, plus we've got the cameras, some which are set up in "speed trap" fashion. Now those are doing pretty good. Especially since folks are finding out that the cameras and the flash have a extremely fast recycle time. Some folsk are beating the pic in court since there is no ticketing officer.
  10. cardboard

If the Politicians don't have nothin to do but make Big money and sit in the capitol to pass new laws so they can have ways to spend more money.
    I pretty much think they are worthless.

Why not call a team of Comptrollers and CPA's to come in, do a audit and see where they are throwing all the money away at.
    Also do that in the Counties and Cities.
    Then there would be a lot of money.

They did this in Alabama and found people's 70 yr old mother makin 45,000 a year for grading papers and they had never graded a paper in their life.
  11. cardboard

Had a Locksmith business in Houston with 5 million people.
    Drove 3000 Plus miles a month. I was on a cell phone all the time to operate the business.
    When I came to a lot of folks I couldn't find them, couldn't git in gates.
    Without the cell phone I could of just shut the busiess down and people like you could find another way to git keys for their auto's, git their doors that had been burglarized fixed on their own. And people that had their keys stolen to their business and homes fixed on their own.
    I adveraged over 2500 minutes a month on a cell phone.
    All the serviceman that worked for me had cell phones too.
    I couldn't sit in a office and answer the phone and git anything done.
    You are wrong by wanting a law so somebody can't drive and talk on a cell phone..:gah:
    I know many a businessman that would agree with me.
  12. FLHTbiker

Anybody ever eat a Burger while driving and holding the steering wheel with your knees. :D
  13. FLHTbiker

I got a speeding ticket 3 years ago from a sneaky dirt bag county motorcycle cop that was hiding behind a small building in a small Poe dunk town for doing 5 over just a the out skirts of town. The insurance companies are still holding it against me with surcharges. Just got another surcharge in the mail and I mailed it back to them saying shove it. :)
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  14. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if ya in the car the cell should be in the trunk....along with bluetooth, gps's and dropdown video screens.......ya supposed to driving, not being entertained. just to many distractions.....but a lot of folk think it is ok to be distracted and injure or kill others with their vehicle..........
  15. FLHTbiker

Same goes for the bike, keep the cell phone and the GPS off the bike and just enjoy the ride without all the interruptions.
  16. chucktx

agreed............if ya need either one, pull over, put the kick stand down, stretch, make the call or look at the gps............
  17. cardboard

Bite yer tougue redneck.

you talk on the cell phone while driving all the time.:banghead:

Everybody does.
    If you don't want to, turn off yer cell phone. Its not the cell phones fault somebody is calling you or you are calling them.
    If you have a control problem. There's a company you can subscribe to. That can sense yer vehicle is moving and they will turn service off to yer cell phone till you stop yer vehicle.
    But I think its STUPID to subscribe to something like that, when yer phone has a off button.

What's the main problem.

There's toooo many people in the world and the fast pace of life, and so many people so close together has you uptight.:gah:
  18. chucktx

i pull off when i talk on the cell.........and your correct, we are over populated.......
  19. amf4399

amf4399 Active Member

I agree with the phone but not the gps. I have found to many back roads with the gps and bookmarked places I would like to go back to visit. Most maps don't have the detail the gps has and you end up missing a lot of places you never knew waere there. I like my gps and you can have your radio. :)
  20. chucktx

can a gps be programed to track where you have been??? then able to check it at any time????