1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Getting Stoned

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by gumby321, Oct 9, 2006.

1. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

LAS VEGAS WITH MY WIFE OF 25 YEARS WITH NO KIDS
    No- No- No- Not that getting stoned. Ridding on the freeways we all know what it feels like when there is one of those dirt haulers 4 miles in front of us.
    First it starts off slowly then as we get closer, it gets worse.
    Well needless to say I got a good one. My bike has been down for a few weeks now so I have been catching up on many things that just had not been taken care of to my likeing. Wires, hoses, dirt, and so on.
    I also am tackeling some touch up on my paint. My bike happens to be 2 colors with red and silver pin stripping. 4 eazy colors I thought. The black was easy turns out the white and red not so. Then there is the red and silver pin stripping. As you all might have guessed by now I got it on the side right front fender. It didn't hit one color it got all 4. Also it was a nice size hit.

So I did my prep work. Filling in with spot putty. Then took care of one color at a time. After sanding and tapeing after all colors were on I started from the bottom up. I don't think it matters which way you start.
    We all know that the rollers on the new type of touch up bottles don't work.
    So what I figured out is to take a book of matches and cut the end of a match to a point. Dab a bit of color on some cardboard. Then use the match as your brush. It worked out great. Then did my sanding with 1500 grit paper. I used water and pressed very lightly until smooth. You might want to go up to 2000 grit paper for sanding. I let it stand for 2 or 3 days prior to sanding. Then I take my screw gun with one of those buffers you can buy as a kit with 3 types of buffers in the kit, small med and large. I have a big auto buffer but thought that would have been over kill.

Then I start to buff until all the clear coat that I scratched when sanding disapears. I had a hard time with scratching my clear coat. I did do a test where you would not be able to see a screw up. Low and behold all marks disapeared. Now this will take time and you will have to buff with a fine safe for clear coat product. All my swearls and fine scratches are now gone from all parts of my bike that were just bugging the heck out of me. I did not have to use a clear coat over my job. I think because of where it was and also the time I took to sand and buff. Depending on where your hit is you might have to put a clear coat over what you fixed. I find that the spray clear coat works much better then the brush or roll on. You can get them in a small can
    also. Just tape and cover places you don't want any overspray.

So give it a shot and try it some place it won't be seen first and see if you want to get into this kind of job. You will be very surprised at the results.
    Good Luck..GUMBY PEACE
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  2. scooter

scooter New Member

That was good...

If you ever have anything more technical on painting that you need answers on...we have a resident expert in that area...chucktx. Him paint good.

Scoot
  3. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

I Knew That Whould Catch Peoples Attention

Since I Have Been Down Like I Said. Much Work Is Being Taken Care Of. I Am Glad I Have Had This Time To Go Over The Bike. Now Before I Do Put The Heads On I Am Waiting To Get That Oil Fix Kit From Direct Parts. Should Be Here In The Next Day Or 2....
  4. scooter

scooter New Member

I'm surprised they didn't read your mind over there at Direct, and just send it to you already and bill ya!!
  5. CD

CD Guest

Minds? We don't need no steenkin minds! :D We got webtuition, a new web service from Google it is derived from female intuition. The only problem they are having with it is that it gets very cranky once a month for about a week and often doesn't act logical at all.

Sound familiar? :D
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

7. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

I Live It

I AM SURROUNDED BY FEMALES. SISTERS IN LAWS AND NEICES. THEY ALL GETIT AT ONCE. IT'S A FRIGGIN NIGHTMARE FOR 3 DAYS OR SO. TILL THEY PEAK...:eek:
  8. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

G,
    Get that bike fixed and quite wining:rolleyes:

PS. When I get stoned I don't sand it off I sleep it off:D :D
    And that's another thread we should start. Stoned on bike stories.
  9. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Hey Tom

Those can either be very funny or very sad stories for sure.
    I always enjoyed taking a dubbie or 2 for the road through hwy 79 or 78.
    I liked going to Julian and hitting the hideout and there were even times I would go into Palm Desert from there. Just for the day, Then head back on the 10 fwy back home. One big circle for sure. Then there was always Toms Farm. That was always a nice ride from Cooks Corner. Then head into Newport Beach and have some food and drinks. I miss those places in Calif. thats for sure. Vegas has nothing even close to any of those spots. I have yet to find anything but flat lands. I will start to venture out soon. I am hopeing the bike will be done this week. I am waiting on a package fromDirect Parts that I ordered last week. It is called "THE OIL FIX" some security to not have any leakage for years to come. Plus I also went and got this other product called Honda Bond. CD says it is the product to use on the gaskets.
    Yes I went to Honda to get it. (car) There is a write up on both of these items CD wrote. You might want to take a look see at them. Interesting reading to say the least. Go to articals in the Forum and you will find them there. Speak to you soon. Maybe even see you soon. I need to put some miles when finished. That 50's diner is about 145 miles from me. So back and forth to Vegas I will have almost 300 miles on the bike, if not more. So I will let you know how it is going as soon as I get the OIL FIX. I will be starting to put together. GUMBY PEACE
  10. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Gumby

If those parts don't show up soon well have to call it Indirect parts.com:D
    They must have ordered it from China:D

I have only one stoner story and to make it short I wasn't able to feel anything. I couldn't feel the bike, I couldn't feel the road. I hated it. I was never very good at being stoned:D Maybe couse I am naturally stoned.

Honda bond? I bought a primary gasket from an indy for 10 bucks. I thought it as a better deal then the HD had at 33 bucks. But, this one leaks:mad: I guess you get what you pay for. Honda bond me baby.

Send me an email on that 50's diner thing. I'll make a good stoner effert to come and see you there.

I just found out that I am limited to only 4 images. I must not be a VIP.

T.
  11. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Hey Tom

I just ordered it last week and I tracked it to get to me tomorrow the 13 th.
    As soon as it gets here I will be getting busy. I have gone through the whole bike in the time she has been down 3 times. I am glad I did too. I will let you know about the 50's diner as soon as I am up and running. It is 150 miles from vegas. Do you know the 15 freeway at all? If you do you will know about the produce stop on the 15. From My way it is about another 45 min. from there. I will let you know exactly where it is when ready to fly. speak to you soon. GUMBY PEACE
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Rented a bike in SD a couple of years ago, did the Palomar and out to Julian, stopped at the Hideout, a great place to ride.

Cooked it down the freeway from up in North to La Jolla, great place to go and eat, the view of the bay is great if the fogs not in and the scenery isn't bad either if you know whut ah Mean!

Georges on the Cove. most excellent.

Popped a stogie and rolled out the freeway back up to Escondido for the evening.

Didn't want to park the bike, just got out and rode!
  13. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

I Hear You

Yes, that was a great ride for me on a saturday. I loved to do it alone also.
    This way I could go through the canyons the way I liked too. The only bikes that could pass an FXR in the back roads were the crotch rockets.
    Thats one of my biggest loves for the FXR. I can turn it into a cruzer for a weekend. Or have a sport bike and use it as such.
    I really do miss being in calif. for only that reason. GUMBY PEACE