1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Glasses at 70 MPH +

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by wmiconi, May 23, 2005.

1. wmiconi

wmiconi New Member

I broke my sunglasses and was very sad. I looked and looked and "settled" on these "OP" glasses from JC penny for 17.00. Man, If your looking for cheap shades that don't make your eyes tear up at 70+ mph I would tell you to look this way.

Just trying to give something back!

w
  2. Harleyjeff

Harleyjeff New Member

Glasses at 70+

Do these "OP" glasses you got at JC Penney come with foam wraps around the inside framing?
  3. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

Glasses

Unfortunately, the days of me buying $17.00 glasses are far behind me since I have a fairly heavy prescription. I have prescription Ray Bands. They are a little pricey but they work very well. I actually have two pair. One that change color automatically that I use when dark or cloudy and a very dark pair for the bright summer days. I wish I knew of a cheaper alternative but this is the combination I've found that works best so far.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I/m not one to own a buncha HD fashion stuff but I got a gift certificate for HD stuff, bought a pair of the new wrap around glasses, they come with a hard case, soft bag, cleaning cloth and clear and smoked lens and the foam.

These are the best dang glasses I"ve had, no wind in the eyes with or without the shield, night vision is great

I've bought a bag load of el'cheapos over the years, 3 for $20 at bike week but they always get scratched or break, style will change next year and not fit, these were $99 but they are worth it, amazing what a good pair of glasses will do for you on the bike.
  5. wmiconi

wmiconi New Member

Those OP glasses do not have foam.

w
  6. wmiconi

wmiconi New Member

Hrk

The HD glasses may be the way to go, but I can't give them another 100 bucks so soon.

W
  7. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I'm lucky, got bad eyes ,need bifocals I just use a flexon frame. titanium and use the hardex glass that tints based on the uv rays. The glass holds up well to the dust and the frames are bullet proof. They can be a little breezy though.
  8. SK

SK New Member

I've got a pair of Elton Optics Wraptors. They're wrap around polaroid fishing glasses, but great for bikers as they enclose your eyes well blocking the sun from the side too. They're $59, but they'll make them in prescription for $159, which isn't bad for a quality set of polaroid sunglasses. They block the wind well too.

eltonoptics.com (just happen to be in Las Vegas)
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I know eggspensive however there are dealers online that will give you 20% off on all hd stuff only, not aftermarket stuff,
  10. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

Ray Ban 4028's are the way to go,....and they look cool too!! Can actually look behind you at 7o and not lose them. :cool:
  11. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Ray Ban Man

I would have to agree Bikerjim on the Ray-Ban's. I half used them for years and have never been disapointed in them. Not too expensive, but not cheap either.
  12. VYBR8R

VYBR8R New Member

Glasses

Can't believe nobody mentioned Panoptics. These are the best glasses I've ever bought. They are expensive, but they work!!!!!! My eyes rear up really easy and I don't have the problem when wearing Panoptics.
  13. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Willey X

I like the Willey X SG1....they are a wrap around, foam sealed around the eyes, can be ear things OR sport band. They are also balistic rated (supposed to take a 12 ga shotgun at 10 meters....so, I will be dead, but my eyes will be good for dontation!! :rolleyes: ). I found a set on the internet that had 4 lens sets (polarized, red, blue, clear) with hard case, soft bag, karokee, ear things, and goggle band. Whole set was a bit more expensive, but found a decent place online price wise.... They wear very well for riding, and if I get deployed downrange, a lot of units are issuing them to the troops with good reviews by the troops. They also claim that if you need a perscription, you can get lenses ground to fit. Not sure how that works as I don't wear glasses, but nice option!
  14. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

$?$?$?$?$?$?$?

O.K. AFNurse, I took the bait. How much money for a pair of the Willey X SG1's ?$?$?$?$?$?$?
  15. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Cost for Willey X

ok, so the standard set is green lenses and clear lenses. This is actually what the military is issuing.... runs about $90. for the DELUX kit (has the hard case, soft bag, sport strap, ear pieces, karokee, polarized lenses, red, blue, and clear lenses) would run about $190..... The site I got from also has where you can get 2 sets of lenses, always clear and 1 other.....green is the standard, add a bit for the other colors.... you can also get the delux kit with green instead of polarized for 150...... if you want the 2 lens kits, looks like it is 89 for the green, and running about 115 for just about all the other colors... to find them, LAPolicegear.com, then search their site... :eek:

For those that might want a slightly smaller glasses frame but still have the foam seal around the lenses (also a bit less expensive), USAHalles has the Willey X XL-1. These run $72 for starts and end around 160 for the polarized delux kit..... "only" run 115 or so for the green delux kit.... He is very happy with this kit also (don't think they have the same balistic rating, but I think you can also get perscription lenses ground for these also.....). All Willey X products get free shipping.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2005