1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Global Positioning System

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, May 29, 2012.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well, today I was on a different forum and I was just browsing as I do often on this forum and I came up on this thread titled, "Why Use GPS?" Well, me being a sucker for a good conversation, I opened it and started to read it. There wee many things that I liked about this thread, one of them being that it politely and with the utmost courtesy stated each opinion without chastising another. After reading this thread, I replied that thanks to that thread, I will spending the $1,000 to purchase a GPS.

The reasons that were stated just made complete sense to me. The over riding reason was that they want to spend time riding, not sitting on the side of the road hitchhiking looking for gas, or because you took a wrong turn. I don't like the feeling of being lost, so why am I fighting it? I will be a long ways from home, I want my time on the bike to be full of riding, not hitchhiking. :D
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

A grand? are you looking at HD's GPS Zumo system with NIM, mount tied into the HD radio system?

That stuff is nice, it came standard on my CVO
    and works well and is pretty seamless.

However you can get a lot of the same benefits without
    spending a grand.

1) Subscribe by email or go to a local Circuit City - get a refurbed GPS for about $100 the first map update is free, don't buy lifetime maps. (Each update is a $100 or so, you can trade up to a newer GPS and get a free update every year vs buying an update) if you have alot of MP3 files, get a GPS that allows you to put them on it and play tunes.

Example: $49 GPS

2) GPSCITY.com - Ram mount, get a ball ram mount for the bars, a 3 inch arm and the cradle for your GPS for maybe a total of $50.

3) Radio Shack, get a male to male cable that runs from the GPS to the front AUX jack o on the HK. $10

Mount the GPS and run the cable to the radio, then set the radio to AUX input, now the gps will talk through the stereo and, if you have MP3 tunes on the GPS it will play them and the Nav program will interrupt the music when you are going to get directions then back to the tunes.

So you can do it for under $250 max
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  3. JohnnyBiker

Yes, the one that I am looking at is the one from Harley. Can't help it, I like Harley's stuff, but I am all for saving money. I really don't one that I have to run a jack to the radio. (Phone and Pandora). Would I be able to hard wire these units to the aux switch on my bike? I hope that these gps's that you are talking about are bike approved and tested?
  4. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

My 5" TomTom isn't bike tested or approved, But for $129 it's got talk street names,life time map updates and live traffic,Lane display at every exit/entrance ramp,and came with a suction mount that works on wndshield or tank. Does the job.'Shoulda went for $20 more for Bluetooth
  5. JohnnyBiker

I don't have a tall windshield for a suction mount. My Garmin has all of that the other stuff too. I guess I am not a real fan of using something that is intended for a car and put it on a bike. JMO I guess I would feel better if it was vibration proof, water proof and all of that other jazz. I guess it is because I don't want to buy twice....
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if ya got the bucs...........go for it!
  7. hotroadking

The other GPS are not going to fail because they are on an HD, get one that is waterproof (read the specs) or simply pull it off if it's raining or get a cover from GPSCity. Vibration etc it will work, people use these in pickups in construction with the windows down, dusty etc. At $50 who cares, toss it like a bic lighter and fire up another...

The HD one will not plug into the AUX, you have to also get the NIM, (Might be a kit) or Nav Interface module, this listens to the HD Zumo for a signal and then interrupts whatever you have playing on the radio, cd, ipod whatever gives the direction and then back to whatever you were doing.

It's a decent system, not inexpensive, the Zumo 650 has weather alerts, a nice feature if you don't have an iphone with a free weather app..

The HD Zumo 550/650 are basically Garmin units with hd logos.
    The mount is a standard garmin mount with cover with HD logo

Another alternative is to pop for the Iron Aces Mount, it's for RG only
    and fits on the center dash above the speedo and tach.

The mount is well made, usa made, and with any GPScity ram cradle you
    mount your GPS right to the Iron Aces Mount.

Run the audio cord either to the front, or pull the radio and put in a rear mount AUX click for how to (I did it myself it's not hard at all and costs about $15 to DIY.) Run the aux cable under the fairing and up to the mount and you see no wires.

You can see it in the video (the GPS is a Zumo) if you get one of the 5 inch Garmins from the link before you'll block less of the gauges.

[YOUTUBE]_aAa6ByCJto[/YOUTUBE]
  8. JohnnyBiker

That is what I am looking for. and you make a good point about it being throw away basically. I would really like the ability to plug and unplug when not in use. I like how that sat right in front, good place for it..:cool:
  9. hotroadking

The HD unit with the zumo and nim and mount is a good deal and a good unit
    just saying you can do it for a bit less, get one with the ability to have tunes
    and you can put a couple thousand songs on the GPS and sort them, play what you want
    and have instructions

the Rear Aux is pretty simple and the radio is easy to remove...
  10. JohnnyBiker

all in all how much do you think that I would have tied up in it when done going the non HD way and with what you are suggesting?
  11. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Hitchhiking looking for gas? You got to be kidding, right Johnny? . . . . Unless gas stations are a hundred miles apart you shouldn't have to worry about that. I don't care for GPS because it's aways telling you where to go by the most direct way, usually on interstates. I like to pick my own route and have a real adventure. Half the fun is not knowing what may lie ahead. When I fill up, I check my milage and know the range of my bike . . . . I start looking for gas stations long before I run out . . . .

Sorry for my low tech rant! Don't mean to spoil anybody's fun here, but a thousand bucks for a GPS? You must be growing it on a tree in your back yard. Can I have some? :rolleyes:
  12. hotroadking

GPS does route you, but you have options for fastest time, you can even exclude u turns, highways, toll roads etc and the thing will take you down some interesting roads.

As always you can choose to alter the route by simply turning down a different road, if you have "avoidances" including U-turns it will just find another route for you...

And because we have opposing thumbs and can stand upright we can choose to ignore it, turn it off or follow...LOL

Costs

If you get the cheapest GPS $50 or the average is about $150 for a non refurb.
    Mount is what $100?
    cable is $15
    so $265 to $165...

If you don't get the Iron Aces mount and go to GPScity.com and order
    a motorcycle mount , bar and cradle you'll have maybe $100 in the whole thing
    with the $50 GPS...
  13. JohnnyBiker

Yes I am being sarcastic about hitchhiking and so forth and no I am not being so sarcastic of the price that HD wants for theirs. The price that they are asking is why I haven't pulled the trigger on it. That is a lot of money for that.

HRK, sounds good to me, I think that this is the way that I am going to go. I need to save some money on this so I have more when I am out west. I still need to get a luggage rack and a T-Bag, either from Harley of T-Bag..
  14. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

If you are truely interested in a GPS. Got to a place to ask folks that do nothin but gps
    Then come back and tell us about it.

If I was you I'd look at the Zumo 660 with a Ram mount.
    Wire it in on the back side of the cigarette lighter with a spade connector.

Login
  15. hotroadking

JB a buddy bought a brandy new Kuryakyn tank lid with mount for GPS
    never used it, it's still in the box I'll see if he has it and you can get it for a song

Mounts the GPS or phone right there on the tank lid, it's chrome and looks good.

Fuel Door GPS/Accessory Mount | Chrome | Küryakyn
  16. JohnnyBiker

Thanks HRK but I don't really like that one. I think that I would rather have it up by my gauges or each speedo.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
  17. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I only have limited experience with GPS. Didn't know you could do all those extra things like go off the beaten path and the GPS would reroute you. So you could go anywhere you want, or make a wrong turn, and it will still get you where you're going? I suppose that whenever you park, you have to take the gizmo off it's holder and put it in a safe place, like a locking saddlebag. Thieves do like to rip them off.

I think if I had one, I would use the "listen only" feature, so I wouldn't have to take my eyes off the road.

This has got nothing to do about GPS, but yesterday in the news, there was a video of a young guy on a bike actually texting while riding. Both hands off the bars! Never thought any biker would be so crazy . . . .
  18. JohnnyBiker

Oh yeah Josh, GPS's do a lot of cool things. I just am not going to spend a grand on the one from HD is all. Try one in the cage once. I bet you change your mind about them.:rolleyes:

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
  19. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=15000&ra=true

The motorcycle series Zumo is waterproof and has a lot better shock proof with the vibrations from yer bike. The better gps units has a better CPU in them makin them faster.
    Trust me. You will be glad you got a good one.

you wouldn't want to buy a cheap computer to use all the time would you. They take forever to boot up.
    Then take longer to give you information.

[​IMG]
  20. hotroadking

my cheap Garmin booted up very fast, no different than the Zumo

I have the Zumo the keypad is a PIA, it takes tons of pressure to get a letter
    and with fat fingers you get the wrong one half the time anyway.

Zumo is nice but you don't have to dump $600 to get a good GPS

Good features are:
    lane change
    mp3
    3d map view
    lifetime maps