1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Goin' flat tracking tonight

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Goose, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Goose

Goose New Member

Well, I'm headed for Huffman to do some short track under the lights tonight. We thought about going by the battle grounds for the re-enactment, but I need to stop at Houston Kawasaki for some VP C12 for the XR tracker. Practice starts at 6PM. Racing is under the lights. It's a lot cooler at night. Baytown doesn't have lights on the new short track/TT course, just sorta out in the field behind the drag strip. It's sorta hot today to be in leathers in the sun.

Just pulled some block long second gear wheelies up the sidewalk on the little beast. I'm ready to slide! :D

For info if you're interested, go to http://www.hmpracing.com or http://www.jarrellracing.com .
  2. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Go Get 'Em

Go get 'em Goose...Good luck!
    Ride Free.......
  3. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

no prisoners Goose!!
  4. Goose

Goose New Member

God, if it weren't for bad luck......

I qualified forth, row one at least and better to be a little outside on the start. I was taking notes for an article submission to Flat Track Illustrated for the promotor who asked me to do that. Said he's help me out with gas money if I would, but nothing in writing, just verbal. But, seeing as I wanna see flat track flurish around the Houston area again, I'm doing it. Well, it was a decent turn out, getting more popular.

So, I'm thinking there's one more race (going by the schedule) before mine, but then I hear the distinct sound of hot rod XR100 mad dawgers firing up. DANGIT, MAD DAWG IS UP! I haul my butt over to the bike to put on helmet and gloves and get going. Friggin' zipper on my leathers breaks. :mad: No time to put on the other suit in the van. I get on the bike, fire it, get to the line. In my haste, I forgot to turn the petcock on and of course the float bowl runs dry just as the green flag drops. :mad: I stalled it, immediately figured it out, got it fired as they were coming around for lap one and tucked in behind the first two bikes and stayed there and gained a little on 'em, but if I'd gotten a hole shot I coulda won that thing. DANGIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No money, went home POed. But, I did quite enjoy the riding, zipper or no zipper. The track was well prepped, the evening coolish, lots of fun. Next month Baytown is running a TT (flat track with a jump and a right hand turn). I really enjoyed the TT there last time. Much to my no motocrossin' old butt, I was faster over the jump and in the infield than the competition, just was losing the rear coming around the sweeper. The track then was relatively new and it should have a bit more groove on it now. I'm looking forward to it. I was no Jeremy McGrath over the jump, but I sure was out jumping everyone else there and killin' 'em in the tight corners only to lose it around the sweeper. :D

I am limping around a bit this morning. Mildly twisted my ankle when my toe, on the foot peg, caught the ground with the tip of the steel shoe and yanked my foot when the bike got sideways off a corner. I'd already put my foot back on the peg. I gotta watch that. That steel shoe sorta gets in the way, but it sure works well entering corners. I'm still sorta learnin' this dirt stuff. My bailiwick is asphalt and I normally drag knee sliders, not steel shoes. But, that's sorta why I'm so into the short track/TT thing right now, it's something new to learn.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  5. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

tough break

that sux...When we put on races we stick to the order in the program or if there are any changes it's covered in the rider's meeting. Gotta watch them ankle twists. I'm having some big problems with the wrists..jammed 'em at work too many times. I'm having a hard time hanging on to a hockey stick and using it with any authority.....not happy with that. I got out on the little ST2 a few times..left wrist hurts like hell but had a great ride. better luck next race.
  6. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Tough break

Hey Goose, sorry to hear about the bad luck....you'll get 'em next time!
    Ride Free.....(and FAST)
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

sounds like a pretty good time, goose.......i also would like to see flat track come back to houston. i used to go to the fairgrounds in the north to watch the 750cc class doit in the dirt oval........some great memories there......some tank shifts, foot shifts......what a blast
    chuck