1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Good digital torque wrench

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Dec 17, 2012.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

thatlooks cool buy one & let me know how well it works , then I'll meet you at chuck place & borrow it :D
  3. cardboard

My neighbor that has a SG has had that torque wrench for a year.
    Its kinda hard to loan torque wrench's. On the clicker ones, they have to be set back to zero. It ain't good to leave them set on a load.
    On a digital torque wrench when you are threw, its a good idea to take the battery out.
    Most folks including myself don't load their torque wrench's as a rule of thumb.
    The dude I used to do boat work with loaned his and he had to have snapon send them off and have them recalibrated.
  4. cardboard

5. popeye

popeye Active Member

Pretty cheap, but I lost an engine to a cheap torque wrench one time and I'll spend money on a name brand from now on.
  6. cardboard

We have been doing engines with these what do you call cheap torque wrench's
    I got a 99.00 northern tools digital torque wrench I checked against a SNAPON
    And it was right on the money.
    And remember this, its digital, not a clicker
  7. popeye

popeye Active Member

I'm talking for lasting reliability. I'm sure it would be accurate out of the box, but I'm still not going to gonna rely on a cheap torque wrench.
    I trust digital less than I trust thumb-screw clicks, and I won't buy a micrometer anymore.
  8. cardboard

A digital torque wrench does both inch and foot lbs and newton meters
    Its more accurate than most clickers I've seen.
    And a digital torque wrench is 3 times faster.
    Don't know many folks that has used a digital torque wrench that will go back to a clicker. It don't make sense.

If you have to torque something to 20 ft lbs, then 45 then 65.
    Set it at 65, do each bolt at 20 them come back around to 45 and watch the guage. When you hit 65 it will beep.

You can spend hundreds of dollars on torque wrench's if you use them everyday.
    Or you can buy a few torque wrenchs that are good. And if you need send them back to have them calibrated.
    I've checked a digital torque wrench I bought 4 yrs ago against a Snap on.
    Its still right on the money.

Here is the one I got and build motors with it. Got several friends with it.

Bought this digital torque wrench about 2 1/2 yrs ago. Built my last motor with it.
    It does both inch pounds and foot pounds.
    It did a good job.

They have it on sale. Though I would let anybody that might be in the market for one.

Product: Northern Industrial Digital Torque Wrench — 1/2in.-Drive

[​IMG]
    It is no longer available either.
  9. popeye

popeye Active Member

I've got both digital and standard clicker all Snap-on. It's your crap use what you please.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  10. cardboard

If I build engines everyday. I would get the best available. I'm making a living with it.
    But with the Duty cycle of a torque wrench not being used much by a lot of us.
    But when I like a bunch of other folks do not make a living using a torque wrench. There is no need to pay the snap on prices.
    Would you not agree to that ?
  11. popeye

popeye Active Member

I still think I'd step up to a craftsman.

wrenches from Craftsman.com
  12. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

what i like on the digital is that mine does. deg. angle as well so when you have to torque and the go another 90 deg .i dont have to set up another gauge and move it from bolt to bolt . works real nice when having to do eight rods and a set of heads on a big chevy . all the late model motors are stretch to yield fasten bolts .