1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Good News For A Change

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Aug 6, 2009.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Went into the hospital this morning and saw the vampires. Got the news back via E-mail this afternoon. Triglycerides were at 100, Cholesterol 140 and the good and bad LDL were right were there supposed to be. All the others were good to but don't know what half of them are or mean.
    My cute cardiologist heart doc. should be happy, but she still don't like motorcycles and makes a point of telling me so every visit, its OK she's pleasant on the eyes while there. Goes in one ear and out the other.
    Now, comes the eye Dr. next week. Been getting dizzy and head aches for awhile, probably the glasses gotta take em off to read and just plain see anything sometimes, really the pit's at times.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

That does sound good , must have been a good day to see the Doc's I good news also dermatolagists (sp) & all the spots he froze off 6 mos ago only one came back & he redid the freeze part & said see you next year
  3. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Very good for both of you! I have a class 3 flight physical coming up.....blood work looks good....some spots in the lung....initial read by a regular doc....still needs reading by radiologist.....doc seems to think probably nothing serious...few/no risk factors for something serious.....and they don't look right for serious. Will probably end up with a cat scan to verify....but time will tell....otherwise, mostly huge amounts of poking and proding......haven't had a real physical in about 20 years, so I am really due for it.
  4. FLHTbiker

:) After my open heart surgery a 1 1/2 years ago I've been eating a whole lot better and still keeping those extra pounds off. Eating better doesn't mean ya like the crap just means I'll live a bit longer and see the grandkids as they grow.
  5. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

I've been thru that myself. Eye Drs. say after about age 40, your eyes don't adjust as fast & I did the reading glasses thing for a while, as all I need glasses for is small print - got to the point that I'd hold something like a newspaper farther away & people would tease - "Your arms getting too short?" :roflmao:

But I didn't like the on again, off again reading glasses deal so I went with "Varilux" lens glasses - somewhat the same idea as "no line bifocals". Eye test showed 20-20 vision in one eye, 20-25 in the other, so the prescription isn't strong & looking thru the top of the lenses it's basically -0-. But the farther down your eyes move, the stronger the Rx & for example, while I don't need glasses to see way down the highway, glancing down @ the speedometer, tach, etc., I didn't see them clearly. Varilux lenses solve that problem & you don't even notice the increase in magnification.

What the eye Dr. did was have me pick the frame I wanted ("aviator" style) & with clear lenses, had me look straight forward. Took a "Sharpie" marker & put a dots on the lenses right where the center of my eyes were looking. They custom grind your lenses out from there - weaker to the top, out to the sides, stronger towards the bottom, etc., depending on your peripheral vision, if you're far-sighted, near-sighted, whatever. I've had the Varilux glasses for 10 years & really like them (wouldn't even even consider contacts). Lenses changed 3 times after eye exams - no major change in Rx, but you should get your eyes checked every few years.

Another thing is that my eyes are light-sensitive & I nearly always wore sunglasses outdoors, so the lenses are "Transition" too - they go dark in the sunlight, but the change isn't so fast that you even notice it. I also got the "cable temples" that hook around your ears so the glasses don't slide down your nose - put 'em on in the morning & ready for anything - reading, riding, indoors or out, etc. One more thing is the polycarbonate Varilux / Transition lenses qualify as "safety glasses" under OSHA standards & I've been smacked enough times by bugs on the road, metal chips coming off a power tool, etc. to know they do work as safety glasses.

So I'd say get an eye exam & ask about glasses like I have. They're not cheap (mine cost $450), but mine sure have been worth the expense + I don't need to keep reading glasses & sunglasses in several different places.
  6. FLHTbiker

Art, I wished my eyes were as good as yours. I gotta have glasses just so I can see :gah: I hate wearing them. After my heart surgery my eyes changed drastically. Found out that I went in to soon and should have waited because they start returning back closer to where they were after that kind of surgery. Guess the body gets shocked or something after a trauma to the ol body like that.
  7. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Getcha a more comfortable set - I tried several different frames I thought I'd like before I picked the one I've got, knowing I'd be wearing the glasses most of the time. I'm far-sighted & don't need Rx glasses to drive, etc., but I sure do to read & do close-up detail work.

I'm sure that's true. Eye Drs. have told me that many physical changes that have nothing directly to do with your eyes can affect your sight anyway & my Dad had to start wearing glasses after heart problems / surgery he had.

I just found the most comfortable glasses I could so I didn't have to carry reading glasses, sunglasses & approved safety glasses, then switch depending on the situation - the pair I've got covers all situations.
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

10 years or so ago I had Lasik

I had basically ok base vision but astigmatism on both eyes.

so far I can still read and see down the road fine but It's getting to the point I can
    tell in 5 years I'll need some form of assistance.

It's been great without glasses or contact (wore these from grade school days)

Best friggin money I spent, ever....

Doc said I'd still need reading glasses, so am I sure I want surgery, I said "I'll need them either way right?, he said "yes" so on we went. simple as pie.

I'm going to go back and get checked they have a procedure to cure reading issues as well.

You might check into lasik to fix the core problems of your vision so that you only need reading glasses...
  9. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Great to hear that you're doing so well. I really need to start eating right. I'm getting too old to burn it off so easily.

I have the progressive lenses too. I've always had perfect vision, but age is catching up with me there too. I had reading glasses, but when I was working on my MBA and had classroom time it was a real pain to constantly put them on and take them off for reading and then to see the board. It takes a little while to get used to them, but then they're great.
  10. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Marc..glad to hear things is better. I use photogrey progressive lenses..one pair of glasses is enuff.
  11. FLHTbiker

Yep, eye Dr. appointment is Tuesday at 11:30 AM :)