1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Goose

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Goose, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Goose

Goose New Member

Had some computer problems and haven't been in here for a spell. Sorry about that. Might be going to work at Houston Kawasaki turning wrenches three days a week. They want full time, but it's 120 miles from here and I wanna keep running my shop. They called and took info for a background check, so I guess I'll get the offer. That'll give me some spending money minimum each week at least, but with the shop here, guess I'll be burning the wick at both ends for a while. Bummer, really wanted to be retired, LOL! but, I'm doing it as much for the experience than anything else. I need to bone up on some things like remapping EFI systems and that. All the new bikes are going to EFI and I've not done any remapping and such. So, I think of this job as OJT, getting paid for training. Can't afford MMI, rather get paid to train, ROFLMAO! I told them this, but they still want me. Must be a terrible lack of mechanics in Houston. The only one left there is the lead mechanic, Brad. He came on the CMRA board begging for techs, how I heard about it. It ain't like I don't know EFI, I know the theory and the hardware, just no hands on experience with the hardware and software involved in remapping and if a guy comes in and wants to put a pipe on his ZX10R, it's going to need remapping. The bikes haven't changed much, under bucket shimmed DOHC motors and that. The cruisers are just OHC and hell, God knows I know two strokes. Jet skis are simple, LOL! But, it's sort of amazing now days how little newbie mechanics know about two strokes. Really, they only get exposure if they're around MX a lot.

I guess I'm condemned to a life of dirty fingernails. Could be worse, could have to work rotating shifts in a GD chemical plant! :rolleyes: :D This'll be fun, too, cause the guys there are into racing. I know the owner's son cause he's been into club racing about as long as I have.
  2. VYBR8R

VYBR8R New Member

Dirty Fingernails

Glad to here you've landed something and that you seem thrilled to be getting paid to learn. I graduated from MMI four weeks ago and have been working in a dealership for the past three weeks. This is the first time I have ever looked forward to going to work each morning. And I guess you could say that I'm getting paid to learn on someone elses bike.