1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Got The Bike Back Today

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Oct 29, 2011.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Some may recall I posted about High oil pressure. Always running at 60 PSI.
    Well they had also done a tune on it and my fuel mileage was 35 highway. Took it to another dealer and they did a stage 11 Harley download over riding the SE tune. I had told the dealer who did the SE tune about it. Well, last week they asked if they could look at the issue of the tune and also do the recall on the stop switch.
    They then also got concerned again about the high oil pressure, especially when they started checking into it. They drained the oil at the engine sump and got 18 oz of oil when they should have only gotten 6-8 oz of oil. Crankcase was sumping, pulled the cam compartment and found the oil pressure relief valve was sticking. They polished the valve and valve chamber then cleared out all passages. They inspected the crank run out .007". Found a o-ring that had a edge partially lifted and replaced it. Installed new spring. Tested with mechanical gauge and motor at 210 F oil pressure at idle was 20 PSI and at full throttle under power 50 PSI. HP 88 and torque 104. Bike runs good and sounds really good. They tested the fuel mileage and said its in the 40's. So all is good now. :)
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the mechanic new something fer a change.
  3. FLHTbiker

Yep, they did good:)
  4. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Glad you got it fixed. Sounds complicated - computers and all. I'll never understand them . . .
  5. FLHTbiker

When I was in electronics school many years ago I had to take a class called machine language. It's the language a programmer would input into the system so that the computer would understand the commands. Boy you talk about confusion, not the computer but me. I was just about as lost as JB is with his carb.:roflmao:
  6. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Back in early 70's I was in school at NC State. Had to take computer science, language used was fortran. Had to key punch cards on a machine looked like a type writer and then feed a stack of cards into a computer that filled up a room. Since we were hooked to Research Triangle main frames (no such thing as PCs or laptops), we had to wait until business hours were over. So you scheduled time during the night. Your time, might be 2am to 2:45am. So you ran your cards and waited all night to find out you mis-spelled your name on first card and it kicked you out. Talking about feeling like your were dumber than H***! :cussing:
  7. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I know you been waiting to use that one...:roflmao:
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I remember those punch cards but I wasnt in college
    I was in junior high LOL

Sumping causes the engine flywheels to drag in oil
    and kills power and your mileage.

glad they found the issue, yep you should be in 40's easy.

Got 44 the other day on my 110, granted I was
    taking it easy, on the interstate at 80 it gets about 38
    so I'll do a little mapificatioin in that zone.

Great thing about EFI tuning with the right
    app and some work you can work specific
    areas and improve power and mileage

Hard to do that with a carb
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Good to here they fixed it , long after your cross caounty trip , but fixed non the less , did you ask why they wanted to recheck into it after all this time ?
  10. FLHTbiker

Because they found out I took it to another dealer and had em download a stage 11 download over the top of their first Dyno tune that was no good. They didn't realize then about the sumping issue. But they, sure worked hard on it to make it right.
  11. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

So did they retune it with your tuner or leave the stage 2 upgrade as it was?
  12. FLHTbiker

Retuned it with the SE tuner and now that it's no longer sumping should be good.
  13. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

seat of the pants how does it feel compared to the stage 2 upgrade?
  14. FLHTbiker

OlBill said it sounds crisp. Felt close to the stage 2 download. If I were to do it all over again I would not do the SE tune but would just do the stage 2 download. Did the trip around the country with just the Stage 2 download and the bike ran really good. Not trying to be like JB where I need to get that 1-2 more HP out of it.:D
  15. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

thanks,
    I haven't done anything to mine yet, haven't even put on the SE air filter system, it's still in the box.
    There is so much information and train of thoughts out there it makes my head spin. My processor (brain) is on overload. I just don't want to hurt it by running to lean.
  16. FLHTbiker

You could wind up with a bad tune from a bad tuner while on a dyno. He could set it to lean. Happened to me once on a 03 bagger I had.
  17. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

After your eamil the other day I've been leaning toward the stage 1 download for 96'ers. Just need for payday to roll around. Service manager at Outpost told me he wouldn't charge me for any labor just the charge from Harley for the download. $150.00 does that sound about right?
  18. FLHTbiker

That sounds about the right price. No labor charge is really good. I know several including olBill that have just the stage 1 download and they are happy with it.