1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

got to ride

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cowboy, Aug 19, 2013.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I got to ride yesterday , first time in a few months since having my toe rebuilt , Evo is still down so I rode my bro-in-laws spare bike , 06 sporty 883C , Hooker pipes CVP carb kit & big sucker ac got in about 70-75 miles man it was great getting out in the wind again , Base gaskets are seeping on my EVO & I have the tins off , so I'am thinking of just putting the tins back on & riding it till around Dec then pulling all apart & doing the gaskets & cam
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I bet it does feel nice to get back into the wind. I hope that toe of yours gets to feeling better and back up to strength real soon so you can ride whenever you want. How long has the EVO been down now?
  3. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

glad you got out for a ride. look after that toe..and that EVO
  4. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Wow off the bike for a few months! I'm glad for you now that your back on it.
  5. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Texas between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls
    I'm taking mine out today for the first time in three months. Bone graft. I'm a little concerned I really don't have the strength to hold the bike up but I got to tire some time. Been way too long.
  6. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Great to hear it, Cowboy. I'll bet the Sporty was easier to handle since it's lighter.

Hogcowboy, those baggers are godawful heavy. I don't see how anybody holds them up :eek:.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  7. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

JoshBob, you will be amazed at how easy it is to hold one of those baggers up. Although I am sure that if one of your limbs are not up to par it could be a PITA, but otherwise they aren't bad at all. Riding a bagger takes a lot of skill. :cool:
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Glad you both are getting some wind...
  9. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Okay, you left yourself open. Dare I say it takes a man to ride a bagger.:playful::playful::playful: Just funnin ya. I just got back. Yee ha, what a ride. Not a long ride for my first. Just a little less than 100 miles. But man was it nice being in the wind again. I have back pain in addition to the bone graft and true to form, while I'm on the bike I'm pain free. I'll never understand that but I like it. I realized while riding that I missed the ugly heat being laid up. Was just 80ยบ when I pulled back in.

BTW, my first Electra Glide, a 1985, I felt was easier to handle than the Honda 400 Hawk I trade in for it. Almost everyone is surprised how easy they are to handle. Now holding one one a hill can be a challenge. I'll ride by those for a while yet. And I'd bet any of the Glides would be easier than a Sporty but everyone is different as to what they are comfortable with. Far as I'm concerned if you got your knees in the breeze it makes no difference what you're on. Just enjoy. And I did for sure today. Now I got to take a nap.:cool:
  10. cowboy

yes it's a good feeling getting back in the wind , but with two bum knees I sold my E Glide & just kept my 94 Evo soft tail custom , JB I started taking the EVO down right before I had the toe rebuilt , then figure out I couldn't walk for awhile ,I just have the tins off ,I was going to replace the base gaskets as they started to weep some , so now I put the tins back on & ride till Dec or Jan & pull it down & get the down ,I NEED TO RIDE MORE :mad:
  11. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Yup, wrench in the winter, ride in the summer. Since I had my heads rebuilt & put in new rings, I've had no leaks from the base gaskets up to the rocker boxes with the Cometic gaskets. Every place on the motor or tranny I have put them, I've had no leaks.

Rode 50 miles yesterday and going out again today. I ride every day it don't rain.
  12. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

You wouldn't want to be around me if I had to wit a few months to ride.
  13. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

My why knows exactly what you mean. Poor gal.
  14. cowboy

believe me it was not easy , but when you can't walk you have to stop & think or try to
  15. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I know its hard to wait like this but things always change. You'll be back riding before you now it.